Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Four blacks kidnap and torture a white special needs teen. Live stream it to Facebook. Hate Crime? Or young kids being stupid?

Four blacks kidnap and torture a white special needs teen. Live stream it to Facebook. Hate Crime? Or young kids being stupid?

Chicago Commander Kevin Duffin said the suspects were 18, and called the kidnapping a “stupid mistake.”

Kids make stupid mistakes, I shouldn’t call them kids, they are legally adults, but they are young adults and they make stupid decisions. That certainly will be part of whether or not we seek a hate crime, determine whether or not this is sincere or stupid ranting and raving."

Posted - January 5, 2017

Responses

• There is no doubt that this was hate crime as evidence by the "F Trump" and "F White people. It's hate and racism pure and simple.
      January 5, 2017 10:49 AM MST

I agree the F..... White people makes it a hate crime. But not sure about how the laws are written if white people can be the victim of a hate crime. 
      January 5, 2017 12:28 PM MST

How about 5 years in prison in general population and let all the other prisoners know what they did. They'll get passed around like a pack of cheap smokes.
      January 5, 2017 10:54 AM MST

Don't be ridiculous - the only thing that will happen to them in prison is they'll be admired.
      January 5, 2017 1:08 PM MST

I shudder at the thought, but you are probably right.
      January 5, 2017 7:12 PM MST

• Seems like a hate crime to me. And seems like the police department is making excuses because of the race of the attackers. Excuses that would not have been made if the race of the attackers/victim were reversed. 
      January 5, 2017 10:55 AM MST

Me as well. But I am not sure if under the law white people can be a hate crime victim. 
      January 5, 2017 12:30 PM MST

Of course they can be.
      January 7, 2017 12:32 PM MST

• It seems it would fall into the category of hate crime since there was stated racial remarks being made.  Then again the concept of "hate crimes" is stupid and misguided as all hell.

That said, aren't all racist remarks just stupid ranting and raving and  violence for pleasure a stupid mistake?   Mistakes aren't excuses to remedy one from consequences.  Quite the opposite.
      January 5, 2017 11:05 AM MST

I suspect it will fall into the category of hate crime under current law because the victim has special needs, not necessarily because of his race.
      January 5, 2017 6:56 PM MST

Exactly what I thought.  The victim's disability really made this a HATE crime to me, not the taunts since many violent crimes involve taunts of all sorts.

I hope these four are punished to the max.
      January 5, 2017 7:17 PM MST

Same here. It's a punk-move to stalk, kidnap and torment / abuse an individual as a group, but to target someone with special needs is such cowardice.

Society is better off when viciousness like that is behind bars for a long time.
      January 5, 2017 7:38 PM MST

• I don't see enough evidence to state either way whether it was a hate crime.. it may have been, but there are a whole heap of circumstances that have to be taken into consideration.. 

You have to treat everyone fairly.. whatever you would DO to these black young adults you should be willing to do if the shoe were on the other foot.. SO if this were white young adults torturing a black kid then punish exactly the same...

You NEED to bear in mind that this crime can happen among all white, all black or a mix..  unless there is proof we cannot assume anything was racially motivated... 

However, if you elect a racist white supremacist who clearly shows he disrespects and discriminates against minorities then you may expect that at some time those discriminated against will fight back.
      January 5, 2017 11:29 AM MST

• Watch the video they took of it.  
      January 5, 2017 12:08 PM MST

• To be fair I didn't see the video.. I am somewhat behind in keeping up with the news as not been very well... if there are racist comments... assuming there are.. then yes sorry that's racist.. if there are comments that may be misconstrued as racist that's another thing too
      January 5, 2017 12:10 PM MST

• My ears went up at first too but then I watched the actual video and it's pretty clear.   Sadly the news just shows a few blurry scenes that show and tell nothing.  It was pretty brutal.
      January 5, 2017 12:23 PM MST

Can you imagine if it were reversed. Four white 18-19 yr olds kidnap, assault, gag, cut, beat, put his head in the toilet, while shouting "F.... Obama!"  "F.... Black people!" Etc to a special needs black 18 yr old while live streaming to Facebook?
    We would be hearing about it nonstop on the media. There would already be overload on questions here about it.  (Not because of racism here but because of the nonstop media playing of it)

"However, if you elect a racist white supremacist who clearly shows he disrespects and discriminates against minorities then you may expect that at some time those discriminated against will fight back."

This almost sounds like you are excusing it because the victim make have been a Trump supporter. Please tell me I misunderstand that quote. 
      January 5, 2017 12:42 PM MST

Apparently someone has forgotten their lessons about asymmetric power relationships again...:-P...

January 5, 2017 1:04 PM MST

KIds being psychotic sociopaths.   There is no other way to explain this hideous phenomenon that happens more often than once in a lifetime.  It strikes those with no moral center.   No code.   No integrity.   They are not connected to anything sacred, therefore, nothing is sacred to them, certainly not someone else's life.  
      January 5, 2017 11:55 AM MST

Too true
      January 5, 2017 4:34 PM MST

If it was an action designed to intimidate and put fear into other special needs white teens, then it's a hate crime.

Otherwise, as heinous as it is, it's just a case of kidnapping and torture.

BTW, I recall very few people going to jail for the kidnapping/torture of many F***ING HADJIS who were "collateral damage" of the Global War on Terror. Is this crime especially heinous because the victim was white?

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/john-brennan-torture-cia-109654
      January 5, 2017 12:34 PM MST

This is not about what our government did to known terrorists.
    This about  18-19 olds abusing a handicapped person. I say if it was designed to intimidate and put fear into other whites then it is a hate crime. 

Apples and oranges.  Nice deflection. 
      January 5, 2017 2:04 PM MST

• I see no reason why it can't be both.
      January 5, 2017 12:42 PM MST

They are 18 years old and know better, and it was a stupid decision of which they are responsible for, arrest them and punish them to the full extent of the law, bring back the chain gangs.
      January 5, 2017 1:27 PM MST