Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is having Russia as an ally such a bad thing? Am I missing something?

Is having Russia as an ally such a bad thing? Am I missing something?

Posted - January 7, 2017

Responses

That depends upon what kind of "ally" Russia would be.

If the Russia-USA alliance is actually a Putin-Trump alliance, where the two oligarchs enrich themselves (and EXXON CEO/SecOfState Rex Tillerson) regardless of the consequences to others, then it's not necessarily a good thing.

If the Russia-USA alliance results in further handing off of influence over Middle East affairs to the Russian government, it may not necessarily served America's interests.

If the Russia-USA alliance results in the USA NOT opposing Russian incursions into Ukraine and/or the Baltic coast nations of Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (despite America's committments to those nations as members of NATO), that could really suck for Ukranians, Latvians, etc.

Tell us what kind of "ally" you expect Russia to be, and I'll let you know whether I favor the alliance or not. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at January 8, 2017 1:36 AM MST
      January 7, 2017 7:41 PM MST

The kind of alliance that ends wars and starts cease-fires. Especially war/wars in the Ukraine. An alliance where everybody is getting along.
      January 7, 2017 7:47 PM MST

@Zack -- You underspecified your scenario. If the USA say to Russia, "Sure, go ahead and annex Ukraine. We won't start a war over it," then the USA and Russia will "get along." It doesn't necessarily mean that's a desirable outcome.
      January 7, 2017 8:02 PM MST

I finally snapped to your avatar.  Nice to see you on here 
      January 7, 2017 9:16 PM MST

I'm glad to be here.
      January 7, 2017 9:21 PM MST

• Meh :/ you know I hate political questions and not my business :p but fook yeah you should consider having Russia as an " ally" A bad thing... Cos there is no sincerity in that. I'm fully supporting Trump ( now ) though  as a non American . I think the worst thing could happen for North America is "Pence " Take lead... I'm terrified of that happen. educate you selfs :p
      January 7, 2017 8:01 PM MST

•   January 7, 2017 8:05 PM MST

Russia is an ally in the same way that the fox is a friend to all chickens---his end game and the chicken's end game are totally different..

I was alive when Soviet Premier Nikita said, "We will bury you." Consider that an indication of Russia's value as an ally..

"We will bury you!" (Russian: «Мы вас похороним!», translit. "My vas pokhoronim!") is a phrase that was used by Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev while addressing Western ambassadors at a reception at the Polish embassy in Moscow on November 18, 1956.[1][2][3] The phrase was originally translated into English by Khrushchev's personal interpreter Viktor Sukhodrev.[4] (Wikipedia)
      January 7, 2017 9:15 PM MST

No,Zack, Russia is India's ally too, but the scenario is different here ( in USA); because USA and Russia are two super powers, even if they are not at war,they remain perennially in Cold War,so you see, suspicion will rise if both super powers decide to quit being at logger heads! This post was edited by Veena.K at January 8, 2017 5:00 AM MST
      January 7, 2017 11:14 PM MST

Not necessarily, it all depends on means, principles, methods, and consequences for those two countries, and for the rest of world how it influences us. It is a threat to the safety of a lot of people around the world. 
      January 8, 2017 1:33 AM MST

Russia has been our long time bogeyman. You can't form an alliance with a bogeyman, you silly goose!
    Everything bad that happens is their fault!
      January 8, 2017 2:05 AM MST

Right you are, It will be a generation or more before the ghost of Joseph McCarthy fade away
      January 8, 2017 4:32 AM MST