Active Now

DannyPetti
Element 99
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Which is easier for you to cut back on, sugar or carbs?

Which is easier for you to cut back on, sugar or carbs?

For me, it's easier to resist sugar......carbs are my Kryptonite.

Posted - January 8, 2017

Responses

I have an extremely fast metabolism and I'm very hyper, which has resulted in lifelong skinniness. I don't count calories, I couldn't tell you the difference between carbs and caribous or sugars and cigars. 
    ~
      January 8, 2017 8:37 AM MST

• caribou are North American reindeer. Carbs are what mixes air and fuel. Sugar is what Billy got on his cigar before he smoked it.
      January 8, 2017 8:44 AM MST

• Brahahahahaaaaa....I choked on my coffee!
      January 8, 2017 8:46 AM MST

Oh.
    ~
      January 8, 2017 8:51 AM MST

• I'm a bread addict. I admit it, I can't get enough of it........My metabolism left the building decades ago. 
      January 8, 2017 8:45 AM MST

• Sugar.   Not much of a sweet tooth.

January 8, 2017 8:53 AM MST

• I do, and it's hard to resist. But sugary sweets are easier for me to avoid that bread. I could make a meal off of garlic toast and be quite happy with it. 
      January 8, 2017 9:46 AM MST

• Carbs, gotta have my cake. Gots to!
      January 8, 2017 9:36 AM MST

What do you think cake is? 
      January 8, 2017 9:39 AM MST

• Why do you insist in looking for me when you need attention Sharonna?
      January 8, 2017 9:47 AM MST

• The same reason she answers my questions and then tells me to ignore them when all she has to do is hit the delete button under her response. 
      January 8, 2017 9:50 AM MST

• That's how I am with bread. I can do without the cake, but not the bread. The only bread I don't like is rye, it has a funny taste.
      January 8, 2017 9:48 AM MST

I hate to break it to you but carbs are sugars.

Carbohydrate
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Lactose is a disaccharide found in milk. It consists of a molecule of D-galactose and a molecule of D-glucose bonded by beta-1-4 glycosidic linkage. It has a formula of C12H22O11.

A carbohydrate is a biological molecule consisting of carbon (C), hydrogen (H) and oxygen (O) atoms, usually with a hydrogen–oxygen atom ratio of 2:1 (as in water); in other words, with the empirical formula Cm(H2O)n (where m could be different from n).[1] Some exceptions exist; for example, deoxyribose, a sugar component of DNA,[2] has the empirical formula C5H10O4.[3] Carbohydrates are technically hydrates of carbon;[4] structurally it is more accurate to view them as polyhydroxy aldehydes and ketones.[5]

The term is most common in biochemistry, where it is a synonym of 'saccharide', a group that includes sugars, starch, and cellulose. The saccharides are divided into four chemical groups: monosaccharides, disaccharides, oligosaccharides, and polysaccharides. In general, the monosaccharides and disaccharides, which are smaller (lower molecular weight) carbohydrates, are commonly referred to as sugars.[6] The word saccharide comes from the Greek word σάκχαρον (sákkharon), meaning "sugar". While the scientific nomenclature of carbohydrates is complex, the names of the monosaccharides and disaccharides very often end in the suffix -ose. For example, grape sugar is the monosaccharide glucose, cane sugar is the disaccharide sucrose, and milk sugar is the disaccharide lactose (see illustration).

Carbohydrates perform numerous roles in living organisms. Polysaccharides serve for the storage of energy (e.g. starch and glycogen) and as structural components (e.g. cellulose in plants and chitin in arthropods). The 5-carbon monosaccharide ribose is an important component of coenzymes (e.g. ATP, FAD and NAD) and the backbone of the genetic molecule known as RNA. The related deoxyribose is a component of DNA. Saccharides and their derivatives include many other important biomolecules that play key roles in the immune system, fertilization, preventing pathogenesis, blood clotting, and development.[7]

In food science and in many informal contexts, the term carbohydrate often means any food that is particularly rich in the complex carbohydrate starch (such as cereals, bread and pasta) or simple carbohydrates, such as sugar (found in candy, jams, and desserts).

Often in lists of nutritional information, such as the USDA National Nutrient Database, the term "carbohydrate" (or "carbohydrate by difference") is used for everything other than water, protein, fat, ash, and ethanol.[8] This will include chemical compounds such as acetic or lactic acid, which are not normally considered carbohydrates. It also includes "dietary fiber" which is a carbohydrate but which does not contribute much in the way of food energy (calories), even though it is often included in the calculation of total food energy just as though it were a sugar.[9]
      January 8, 2017 9:42 AM MST

• Did it ever occurred to you that most everybody know the difference between Simple and Complex Carbohidrates. Do you truly think thAt only you knew this. 
    Maybe people want to just have an informal conversation and didn't want to sound like an ass.
    Come on woman. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 8, 2017 9:54 AM MST
      January 8, 2017 9:50 AM MST

• By ass I mean donkey by the way. 
      January 8, 2017 9:52 AM MST

Sugar and carbs are mostly  the same.  SO if you say you pick cake over carbs you are mistaken.  So, no it did not occur to me that you knew the difference.  Because if you did know the difference, then WHY did you say what you did?

And I am an ASS?

Why do people on here get offended when they get corrected? 

No wonder you guys have trouble losing weight.

Sugar alcohols are carbohydrates which are also called “polyols”. Part of their chemical structure resembles sugar, and part of it resembles alcohol, hence the confusing name. Examples of common sugar alcohols are maltitol, sorbitol, isomalt, and xylitol.
    Where do sugar alcohols come from?
    Sugar alcohols occur naturally in plants. Some of them are extracted from plants (sorbitol from corn syrup and mannitol from seaweed), but mostly they are manufactured from sugars and starches.
    Why use sugar alcohols?
    Sugar alcohols are like sugar in some ways, yet incompletely absorbed by the body, so the blood sugar impact of sugar alcohols is less than that of sugar, and they provide fewer calories per gram.

However, the different types act very differently in the body (see chart below).

Additionally, sugar alcohols don’t promote tooth decay as sugars do, so are often used to sweeten chewing gum. One, xylitol, actually inhibits bacterial growth in the mouth.
    Can sugar alcohols cause problems?
    They can’t get you drunk, because they are not alcohol. But because they are incompletely absorbed, they can ferment in the intestines and cause bloating, gas, or diarrhea. Different people can have different reactions to different sugar alcohols. Careful experimentation is advised.
    How are sugar alcohols labeled?
    The names of the individual sugar alcohols will be in the list of ingredients. They will be included in the amount of carbohydrate on the label, either in the total or on a separate line for sugar alcohols. If the product is labeled “sugar free” or “no added sugar”, the manufacturer must show the sugar alcohol count separately.
    How do sugar alcohols compare to other carbohydrates?
    Although it’s true that sugar alcohols are incompletely absorbed by the body, and so have fewer calories than sugar, most of them aren’t as sweet as sugar, so more must be used to get the same sweetening effect. Still, there is a range of sweetness, and impact on blood sugar among the sugar alcohols. On the chart, you will see that maltitol syrup has a glycemic index which is nearing that of sugar. Although there are only 3 calories per gram, it is also only 75% as sweet as sugar, so the carb count for the same sweetening power of sugar and maltitol syrup are equivalent. On the other hand, erythritol has very little blood sugar impact This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 8, 2017 9:58 AM MST
      January 8, 2017 9:52 AM MST

• You know woman, my first question here, ever, was, "is there any way to block somebody in this site" 
    My first message conversation here, ever, was asking the same thing. The very first day. 
    Would you like to guess who was I asking about? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 8, 2017 10:06 AM MST
      January 8, 2017 9:57 AM MST

• I agree with you. Just about everyone knows that carbs turn into sugar, but the difference is choosing between a candy bar or buttered toast, which is easier to resist? No one needed a long winded copy/paste explanation.
      January 8, 2017 9:57 AM MST

• I understand that Karen, everybody does. Im done trying with this person. I will never address her again.
      January 8, 2017 10:03 AM MST

• Same here. She wants me to leave her alone, but answers my questions and then says to ignore them. She doesn't need to throw that in because I have no intention of answering her back. All she has to do is hit the delete button under her answer and it will go away. Easy Peasy. :)
      January 8, 2017 10:06 AM MST

• Who?
      January 8, 2017 10:07 AM MST

• The other person on this thread. 
      January 8, 2017 10:09 AM MST

• Back to cakes, 
    Especially at about two or three in the morning. I go about in the dark, shuffling like a Zombie, But instead of Braaaiiinnnsss, is more like Caaakkke.
      January 8, 2017 10:14 AM MST

• I'm more prone to be searching for the Cheez-Its. :)
      January 8, 2017 10:18 AM MST