Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Are internet websites and social media destroying our ability to come to a consensus on anything?

Are internet websites and social media destroying our ability to come to a consensus on anything?

Why, when you can find like minded folks to share and indulge any belief?

Posted - January 11, 2017

Responses

I think it's more the use of media to manufacture consensus that is destroying our ability to effectively communicate and compromise on a given course of action. It has created an* atmosphere of bad-faith.

We see it all the time, people take tidbits of incomplete personal information (party affiliation, religious classification, level of education etc.) from a 'profile' and use them to form far-reaching yet completely unsubstantiated conclusions about otherwise unknown individuals. It's an unhealthy mode of interaction that is actively encouraged by many who directly benefit from manufactured consensus. This post was edited by ForkNdaRoad at January 12, 2017 8:05 PM MST
      January 11, 2017 8:21 AM MST

• yes, kinda.

The social media experiment hasn't shown to have good results as more and more people have taken to it.  Especially with the rise of outlets like Twitter and facebook styles of it.  The benefits haven't outweighed the consequences by a long shot.

It's fun, addictive, and interesting.  Ultimately it cause more problems though. Yet, it's here and it isn't going anywhere so even if you don't use it, the negative effects are just as the same as if you don't for the most part.
      January 11, 2017 9:09 AM MST

As if you do. I'm not correcting you. I understand you.
      January 12, 2017 8:06 PM MST

seems like it
      January 11, 2017 9:35 AM MST

My girl pearl ;)
      January 12, 2017 8:07 PM MST

• Nah. We never had consensus anyway. It's always possible to find groups -- on or off line -- who share our ideas. The more interesting people (however uncomfortable) are those who don't. :) 
      January 11, 2017 9:57 AM MST

I don't think you appreciate how much the internet has increased the ability to find people who share a particular ideology or thought and have a person never interact with others who differ. If ever heard their opinions might make the difference between being an open minded moderate or an intolerant extremist. This post was edited by O-uknow at January 12, 2017 8:16 PM MST
      January 12, 2017 8:15 PM MST

• Probably not. I tend to avoid sites where everybody is beating the same drum.
      January 12, 2017 8:24 PM MST