Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Language » Do you know how to define naivety?!

Do you know how to define naivety?!

How do you define it by words, not by examples... Hmm.

Posted - July 9, 2016

Responses

Unproductive would be a good word to define negativity because positive thinking is what gets things done. Cheers and happy weekend!

July 9, 2016 11:47 AM MDT

Naivety, not negativity. :-)
      July 9, 2016 11:51 AM MDT

Ya I'm getting in the bad habit of reading too fast so I'm making a lot of mistakes anyway I can't think of a word to define naivety right now but I;ll give it some thought. Cheers and happy weekend!

July 9, 2016 12:01 PM MDT

I excel at defining words.  It's my thing.   I tell you this so you will be very strict with how I do with this one.

Let's see....

There is room for this word between innocence and gullibility.

Naivete falls in between the two definitions:  Innocence deals with  not having any experience with something.  If you live your life in a cave, you are pretty innocent to the rest of the Universe.  That is innocence.  being without any filters or ability to discern harm from good.   Just being.

Then there is gullible.  That is the person who keeps butting his head against the same walls over and over, despite the fact that the unwanted result is always the same.   Those people don't learn quickly.   They are slow on the uptake.

Now, naivety is part innocence and part gullibility with the addition of inexperience. 

The inexperience makes one rather gullible and certainly innocent.  However, the inexperience lends a major ingredient.   The ability to  learn and grow, rather than being stuck in the same "gullible" thought patterns.  So, the naïve can learn and grow.  The gullible don't learn. 

I could have just given you a pat definition.  

Naive

Untried and unused to some common ground the rest of us take for granted

July 9, 2016 12:03 PM MDT

One or several words. Anyway, happy weekend!
      July 9, 2016 12:05 PM MDT

You could, but then I wouldn't have had the pleasure reading all the rest. It's been a priceless joy reading your reply. Thank you. :-)
      July 9, 2016 12:08 PM MDT