Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » No one alive KNOWS what happens after death. Massive ignorant opining/supposition. What if the evil ones pay for their evil ways? Scared?

No one alive KNOWS what happens after death. Massive ignorant opining/supposition. What if the evil ones pay for their evil ways? Scared?

Posted - January 25, 2017

Responses

• I wouldn't say scared. I'd say cautiously skeptical. So I try to be.good and do good things.for others. I hope that if it happens to be true, and the.Cheese hits the fan, at least that counts.for something.
      January 25, 2017 12:47 PM MST

What could it hurt to be kind? What do you lose by trying to be fair or honest or honorable? How does that harm you? Thank you for your reply Lago and Happy Thursday to you m'dear! :)
      January 26, 2017 3:28 AM MST

• It doesn't, I just don't always feel like being it. Sometimes being nice.and good is a stretch and a big chore when the other person insists on being a jerk. Those times the only thing that makes me be, is the thought of it counting for something in a big book somewhere.
      January 26, 2017 9:11 AM MST

I also do not know what happens after death.
    If it was possible to make a bet and have the result realized, I'd go with "nothing".

(Although I personally expect my body to be vigorously recycled by all sorts of lower organisms.)
      January 25, 2017 1:45 PM MST

If I had my "d'ruthers" this is what I'd like to have happen. Nothing changes EXCEPT that evil disappears. We still have differences of opinion. But we can discuss them with cordial civility absent animosity. The folks we love to be with will still be there. The folks we dislike we won't any more because there will no longer be anything to dislike. Of course we will have our preferences. We will still be distinct individuals but we will all be worth knowing, worth engaging with and worthwhile There would be no pain or illness or suffering or wars or lies or liars. I know it sounds like an impossible dream. Well it's my dream. What is your dream if you could have your "d'ruthers"? Thank you for your reply Plingsby and Happy Thursday! :)  .
      January 26, 2017 3:37 AM MST

Last week, my mother (86) had a heart attack. As my sister rushed her to the nearby emergency room, mom said something about "very beautiful" while unconscious. Well, mom survived her first heart attack, but hasn't made any comments about her "very beautiful" vision. I can say she is in a most chipper disposition since this event. 
      January 25, 2017 2:08 PM MST

That is so beautiful bh! She must have seen something awesome! Condolences for the heart attack but we celebrate that she is doing great! Thank you for sharing that nice slice of your life. Happy Thursday. In fact reading that just made me feel chipper! I'm 79 as you probably know by now so  your mom and I are definitely in the same ballpark! :)
      January 26, 2017 4:56 AM MST

Alive we seem to be individual -whatever species one is but death is like 'coming home'; free and unburdened of the body/mind/brain as before life began; in a state of collective onsciousness said to be the fabric of existence -the universe. Life could not begin without having a basis of  'consciousness'.

Google 'death is an illusion ' some interesting material to peruse.
      January 25, 2017 2:12 PM MST

Vass iss diss m'dear?  OK. I shall do just that. Thanks for the guidance. I appreciate it. Some physicists say that life is an illusion so death being an illusion would be logical wouldn't it ? Thank you for your reply Kg and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      January 26, 2017 4:59 AM MST

That is just not true.  Many, many people know.  Many see, many remember, and many are visited and told.

I have very little left to discover about death.

I am not remotely afraid.   I am afraid to hang on here past any reason except that my diseased old carcass can't stop breathing.  That is what I am afraid of,  disease and ongoing infirmity.   Otherwise, I will fight the good fight till I can shed this mortal coil.
      January 25, 2017 2:55 PM MST

A nice (but a bit sad) reply.
      January 25, 2017 3:00 PM MST

Sadness is in your mind.  Not in mine.  Consider this notion....

I am not afraid of death at all because I have had so much confirmation in my life that death is small potatoes.

I have no fear of death.

And you are sad for me.   Because ?  I am not quaking with fear? 

How sad for you, not me.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 25, 2017 5:13 PM MST
      January 25, 2017 5:10 PM MST

• I don't believe anybody who says he or she is not afraid of dying. Not one body.
      January 25, 2017 6:55 PM MST

• You should. When we get old enough death becomes an inevitability. It always was, of course, but in age it's a closer companion. To live in fear of it would make our later years frightening. 

One of the contributors to the Ask Q&A community, a former Marine sergeant in Vietnam once wrote, "Death smiles on all men. Marines smile back." Now THAT's a bit scary. 

But I know the Grim Reaper pretty well. We've had a few brushes over the years. Even today, when he rides his Harley down my street, he gives me a friendly wave. 

January 25, 2017 8:51 PM MST

• I understand.
      January 25, 2017 8:55 PM MST

I don't know if I ever shared my "d'ruthers' with you Sharonna. My perfect heaven would the same as we have here and now BUT with no hate, evil, pain, wars, lies. We would still have our differences of opinion but we could discuss them dispassioniately with cordial civility. There would be nothing to dislike about one another. Of course we would still have our preferences. We would still be individuals. I like my life. I would like it to be never-ending, with a few tweaks as stated above. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 26, 2017 5:02 AM MST

Perhaps we should examine Emily Dickinson's poem ---- 'Because I Could Not Stop for Death'.
      January 26, 2017 1:29 PM MST

• Well, you're right. Nobody knows but it may be possible to find out. I have a suggestion.

At my age I'm certain to fall off the twig sooner than most of our members and will either survive or not. Now, if God is keeping up to date, there are bound to be eMail facilities in Heaven. I will undertake, as soon as possible after my demise, to email all my subscribers to let them know whether we survive and, if so, whether there's a Heaven and a Hell. Not only that, I will undertake to advise which sect/cult/denomination/religion has the keys to the Pearly Gate.

If you don't get an email you'll know that we don't survive. Makes sense, right? 

This is NOT a free service. Anybody wishing to know whether they should spend their lives in prayer, praise and proselytising rather than pleasure, parties and procreation can email $50 to didge@answerMug.com.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 26, 2017 6:50 PM MST
      January 25, 2017 3:26 PM MST

No Didge. It does not make sense. You don't know what the rules will be in the afterlife. We may be FORBIDDEN  from contacting the living. So just because I don't receive your email won't mean that you aren't looking over my shoulder going "tsk tsk Rosie" or "atta girl  Rosie"!. The thing is we simply don't know. We can hope and wish and envision but that's all we can do on "this side".   If this is all there is I have no complaints. But if it isn't wouldn't it be loverly to go on as-is with a few tweaks such as no wars, no lies, no hate, no evil, no pain, no suffering? Wouldn 't it be nice to have lengthy substantive conversations about our differences of opinion and not insult/attack one another?  I'd like that a lot!  And your charging up front? You have no idea whom you will become in the afterlife m'dear. Charging is so boringly capitalistic .  You may become very altruistic. Don't limit yourself to being such a mundane business deal person. You are NOT The Donald! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 26, 2017 5:09 AM MST

• I doubt that anybody will ante up, anyway, Rosie. I'm not gonna get rich like this/

Venus, Serena, Roger, and Rafa very likely to go through tonight. It's gonna be a great final. 
      January 26, 2017 1:25 PM MST

You know what worries me? Roger has had problems with his leg...the surgery one. He had a miniscus tear which you probably know and had to have surgery and was off the circuit for 6 months. I had a minicus tear too but 90% of them heal on their own and mine did. He said when he was interviewed yesterday that if he can't walk for 5 months after the Final it will be okay. He is going to play hard to win. I hope he doesn't cripple himself. The guy is 35 and I think Rafa is over 30 too. Relatively OLD guys playing. Anyway fingers crossed.  The last time Venus played in the Aussie Final was 2003! She has some condition that she has been battling.  Serena is already tied with Steffi Graff at 22 majors won. I'd like Venus to win this one! Fingers crossed. Thank you for your reply Didge and Happy Friday! :)
      January 27, 2017 4:24 AM MST

• During the tournament I heard Jim Courier comment on Roger's current world ranking (as a result of his injury). He said, "He's got to be the most dangerous number 17 in history." He got that right. 

And now it's all on the line. LIke you, we'd like to see Venus get up and win this. That Sjogrens Syndrome has robbed her of many victories; even playing through it, and at her age, is amazing. The crowd loves both sisters but she'll get overhwhelming spport during the match.
      January 27, 2017 2:02 PM MST

Your question seems to me to imply some of us should be worried because we are evil. I am not evil, so I have nothing to worry about. Death doesn't scare me. I know people who have had near death experiences. I believe they experienced something profound. I don't know evil people, so I cannot tell you what they experience. The only thing that scares me is the act of dying. I hope it will be as quick and painless as possible.
      January 25, 2017 9:29 PM MST

You don't think a Hitler should worry? Or The Donald?  I do. But my idea of what COULD happen is my idea not yours. I don't know you so I have no idea if you should worry or not. You may sail right through if there is a there there. Thank you for your reply Gb and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      January 26, 2017 5:11 AM MST