Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Do you believe the Loch Ness Monster is a real thing, or just people with great imaginations?

Do you believe the Loch Ness Monster is a real thing, or just people with great imaginations?

Posted - January 25, 2017

Responses

I think it is real and only people with great imaginations can see it.  That doesn't make it less real.  It makes you less able to see is all.  It said on TV that the Loch Ness Monster sometimes dresses up like a girl scout and pretends to sell girl scout cookies, just to rip you off for $3.50.   Who could make that up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3BGs1uxfg This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 28, 2017 9:59 AM MST
      January 25, 2017 11:16 PM MST

• I have to confess that when travelling around Scotland, and arriving at Loch Ness, it was impossible not to scan the Loch, furtively, as we drove around it. Even though I know it doesn't exist. )
      January 25, 2017 11:43 PM MST

• My son was there a couple of years ago and I had a very close look at his photographs. Alas! No Nessie. 
      January 26, 2017 1:09 AM MST

• The tourist centre makes up for that. You've never seen so much tat, the place looks like a stuffed toy bazarre. A lot of money is being made out o'nowt. 
    The Loch itself is beautiful however, and even if The Nessie proves elusive there's always the orange cows.

January 26, 2017 3:48 AM MST

• Of course it's real. The many people who saw it throughout the years wouldn't all been wrong. I believe even Bill Shakespeare was alluding to the Loch Ness monster when he wrote, "There are more things in Heaven, earth, and Scotland, Horatio, than are dreamed of in your philosophy.

And here's the proof. It's impossible to fake a photograph like this.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 27, 2017 3:30 AM MST
      January 25, 2017 11:45 PM MST

Yes and no, you can fake any image you want, buy it takes a real expert not to get off-color outlines when you try to paste two pictures together. In your pic Nessies 'neck' is an example of that ;-)
      January 26, 2017 2:45 AM MST

• Sorry, Jakob, we Nessie believers aren't interested in things like facts. 

Back before digital photography, I wrote an article about flying saucers and asked Mrs Didge to go out and photograph some for me. On a cloudy day she used grey cotton to suspend a couple of buttons from the clothes line, then photographed them, slightly out of focus. (All UFO photographs are slightly out of focus.) One of them was a glass button with tiny bead-like lumps on it, and those beads caught the light. When I showed them around and explained that it had been stationary but had taken off when Mrs D turned up (citing the bright spots as exhaust) it was surprising how many people believed me. 

I didn't leave them wondering for long. 
      January 26, 2017 1:33 PM MST

• Lot's of good stories out there about "Nessie". This was a really good book about it. Something is out there and this is the best explanation why.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 27, 2017 3:30 AM MST
      January 26, 2017 6:36 AM MST

The truth is... 

January 27, 2017 3:26 PM MST

I was laughing so hard at your picture Malizz, I blew snot out my trunk!!  Thank is hilarious!!  Happy giggles!!!!
      January 28, 2017 10:04 AM MST

I DO!  I DO!  I DO Believe in Nessie!!  I DO!!!!!

I DO!  I DO!  I DO Believe in Nessie!!  I DO!!!!!

The people in the area are just perpetuating that big dumb myth. I never believed it and never will.
      January 28, 2017 10:05 AM MST

Highland Tourist Board always report some one seeing it in April every year to boost Tourist number, howver there could be a monster in the Loch.
      February 2, 2017 10:37 AM MST

Amazing the effort and money spent in trying to find it - whatever "it" is supposed to be! Even to the extent of using sonar and underwater cameras to try to establish the existence or not of some unusual animal perhaps specific to the loch. Which is over 900 feet deep at its deepest, and the water is so peat-stained that visibility even in the shallows is very limited.

Didge's post reminds us of the infamous fairy-photographs faked by two late-Victorian sisters in England. By the time their parents, Kodak and most notoriously the fantasy-loving author Arthur Conan-Doyle had all totally failed to realise they'd been fooled, things were so out of control the poor girls could not admit they had faked the photos! In fact I think the full truth was only revealed when one had died and other was elderly herself, and finally admitted the photos were of cut-out drawings suspended on fine thread from the tree branches.

I understand one of the most well-known "Nessie" photographs is actually of a fallen tree protruding from the water. Amazing what a careful lack of anything to give scale in the picture, plus gullibility, will do.

February 2, 2017 6:28 PM MST

• "I've read a little bit about the subject, but not enough to make a decision."
    They call it a Monster, but it hasn't hurt anyone or taking any livestock  ... that's a pretty nice Monster!
      February 3, 2017 2:27 AM MST

An 'expert' view.

http://www.scotsman.com/200voices/cultural-icons/adrian-shine-making-sense-loch-ness-monster-legend/

February 3, 2017 2:35 PM MST