Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Do you now or have you ever fixed automobiles. Stuff like brakes, carbrators etc?

Do you now or have you ever fixed automobiles. Stuff like brakes, carbrators etc?

Yeah I know...what's a carborator?

Posted - January 27, 2017

Responses

•  A yittle bit.
      January 28, 2017 6:10 AM MST

• "Yes" ... I've turned a wrench or two on cars, but I've spent more time working on motorcycles.
    I was into sanction drag racing (bikes) for three years and did almost all my own work for race day.

January 29, 2017 8:28 AM MST

• I've made attempts but I've never been mechanically inclined and it was mostly a frustrating experience.
      January 29, 2017 9:18 AM MST

Yes, I've worked on cars as a hobby/necessity since I was 5 years old and even fixed BMWs professionally for a time.

They aren't that complicated once you understand the principles which govern how they work.
      January 29, 2017 9:30 AM MST

Great pics above!

Oh for the days when you could repair service & cars & bikes relatively easily, and customise them too if you had the money and facilities to make a decent job of it. At least nowadays there is no monthly crawling underneath with a grease-gun, or 50 000 mile "de-coke".

Have sometimes re-set contact-breakers, once or twice jury-rigged electrics, at the road-side. Still remember the technique for compressing the wishbone suspension on Bedford CA vans using two jacks and the vehicle's own weight so as to replace the king-pin bushes. Oh, and the cylinder-head nut torque on their 1600cc Vauxhall engines was 75ft-lbs from memory, with re-setting after 100 miles. On one of the 3 of this make I owned, I re-torqued the head while away from home for the day to comply with the 100-mile mark!

Same vehicle - re-set steering-gear that the previous owner had over-tightened in the mistaken belief this would remove excess end-float. No suitably sensitive torque-wrench or spring-balance for adjusting the pre-load on the column bearings, so removed the unit from the van, clamped it horizontally in the vice and suspended a bag of weights borrowed from Mum's kitchen scales, from the steering-wheel rim. (Torque = radius X mass, so easy to determine the scale weights necessary.)

Broken throttle cable on a Series 3 Diesel Land-Rover? Luckily near home and gently down-hill at that so crawled last mile on tick-over in low ratio, then replaced the cable with a Commer van cable I happened to have in the "come-in-handy" box, and which happened to fit.

Break in plastic advance-retard vacuum pipe on an Austin Maestro, while on holiday in France? Spliced it with a short piece of insulation stripped from some wire I'd taken in case I'd needed to jury-rig the electrics. It was still on there, working perfectly, when I eventually sold the car!  

Oh, re OP. It's "carburettor".

February 2, 2017 7:28 PM MST