Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Is there something nice someone did for you that made you want to cry?

Is there something nice someone did for you that made you want to cry?

A girl from a special needs children's home I volunteer at just gave me a leather headband that she made by hand. It's a basket weave design with little flowers painted on it. She's incredibly gifted! She told me I needed a crown because I was as pretty and as nice as a princess. It was soo touching and sweet! It melted my heart when she gave it to me! I may never take it off!

Posted - January 27, 2017

Responses

What a beautiful little child.   I know you will cherish that headband forever. Thank you for sharing.
      January 27, 2017 2:50 PM MST

• Best gift ever! I'm totally not excited right now! :D
      January 27, 2017 3:06 PM MST

• Aww I loved your post.. it's very heartwarming.. Someone did something very nice for me on here.. she was very kind to me, she noticed I had been very down and *quiet* on here and she asked what was wrong and she talked me through it and then we chatted about all sorts. It was very touching as I had been feeling very despondent and as though I didn't belong here.  

When something like that happens it really puts things into perspective.. this world has negatives and mean people for sure, but there are people who are angels upon the earth and who make us smile again :)
      January 27, 2017 3:07 PM MST

• Those kind of people are so few and far between it seems but you're right! Finding them are incredible and let you know everything will be ok or at least let you know you're not alone. This is always good to hear, thank you! :)
      January 27, 2017 3:16 PM MST

Such a lovely story with so much hope built into it too. Humanity. It happens every now and then when people tell me something nice when I'm in my most sensitive mood. I can't handle such warmth any other way than by crying just a little. These are tears of joy. Guess they are as needed as those out of pain. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 27, 2017 5:39 PM MST
      January 27, 2017 3:15 PM MST

• I almost cried and I don't cry that often. You're right stories like this and like many others are very hopeful! :)
      January 27, 2017 3:20 PM MST

I can understand the emotions you must have felt. I would have been very touched, too. :-)
      January 27, 2017 3:22 PM MST

• That's awesome! When I was really young we had just moved to a new city where my father had just gotten a job as a teacher. It was around Christmas time and my parents didn't have much money and couldn't afford gifts that year. A group from a local church found out and brought several gifts for each member of our family shortly before Christmas day. It was a good Christmas day. That day started our own family tradition where we would choose a struggling family every year and anonymously place a large bin of gifts on their doorstep right before Christmas. Pay it forward as the saying goes. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 27, 2017 6:07 PM MST
      January 27, 2017 3:35 PM MST

• Oh happy happy day! We need more people around who will do things like that! Awesome! :)
      January 27, 2017 3:39 PM MST

Really beautiful tradition, Corey. 
      January 27, 2017 6:09 PM MST

• Thanks, Dragonfly.
      January 27, 2017 6:58 PM MST

yes, ive been out of work a lot and have a friend that will help me out if i need anything
      January 27, 2017 3:50 PM MST

• You find out who your real friends are when bad situations hit! Awesome! :)
      January 27, 2017 4:14 PM MST

She just showed genuine interest in me. That's all.
      January 27, 2017 4:19 PM MST

• Sometimes that's all it takes! :)
      January 27, 2017 5:38 PM MST

more than once.
    tender pure hearts
    Bless their Souls.
      January 27, 2017 4:42 PM MST

• Amen!! :)
      January 27, 2017 5:40 PM MST

Yes, still makes me cry whenever I think of it. I was outside once all day long, grieving a woman who was a mom to me. She had died unexpectedly. I could only sit and grieve. Once in a while I'd look up and see this person sitting next to me, no words, just sitting. I just thought he was out once in a while smoking a cigarette. After many hours, I went inside, I noticed he was still there. I started thinking that he had actually been with me all day. We never talked, he just sat there. So, I went over and asked him why he was outside and was there anything he was waiting for. He said, "No, I heard you were hurting real bad, so I came out and sat with you, in case you needed me." That lovely boy sat with me for at least 9-12 hours. Never said a word, unless I said something. He is on medication for ADHD. At the time he was about 18, and he taught me so much. He taught me about grace, kindness, never to think that a young one couldn't teach me something new, that words are not always neccessary, to reach out to strangers. We will be friends for the rest of our lives. I hope he and my daughter can make things work.
    In this crazy world, I'd like to be someone who lifts others up, not bring them down.
      January 27, 2017 6:30 PM MST

• That's awesome!! Some people know just what to do!
      January 27, 2017 7:05 PM MST

He was young but wise. Find it sad that the older generation dismisses the younger ones. I think you can learn a lot from others. Just have to be open to the possibility. I really thought your story was sweet.
      January 27, 2017 7:14 PM MST

• I figured adding the question with the story could help bring some positivity to today!
      January 27, 2017 7:32 PM MST

It did, thanks for the lift. :)
      January 27, 2017 7:45 PM MST

Of course!  More than once.  The one that comes to mind happened when I was in law school.  That is a very demanding time in one's life.  There was a girl in many of my classes who bugged the crap out of me asking me to explain things and wanting to borrow my notes, etc. etc. etc.  She was smart but not very self confident.  Not many of us were.  Anyway, I was sitting with a few friends outside on a bench getting a little fresh air before going in for class when the dreaded person walked toward me and I thought to myself: oh no; what does she want now?   She walked up to me and thanked me for helping her get through civil procedure and pulled out a school shirt that she had just bought at the bookstore for me.  I felt like a heel!  Those shirts were expensive!   And I had to fight tears.    Anyway, I thanked her and knew I would not mind her bothering me anymore.  Thing is, she never really bothered me anymore.  I think she found her confidence when she ended up with an A in the course and I made an A-.  ;)
      January 28, 2017 12:49 AM MST