Active Now

Slartibartfast
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » You live in the same neighborhood your entire life,associate with the same people. No strangers/foreigners/outsiders. YOUR cuppa tea? Why?

You live in the same neighborhood your entire life,associate with the same people. No strangers/foreigners/outsiders. YOUR cuppa tea? Why?

Posted - January 29, 2017

Responses

Nope, that doesn't describe me in the least.
    For a myriad of reasons, I chose not to remain in my hometown even one minute after the first opportunity presented itself for me to leave: while still in high school I turned 18 years old, and 10 days later I signed up for enlistment in the US Marine Corps on what was known as the Delayed Entry Program. After graduating high school a few months later, I reported for boot camp that summer, and my life's adventure began. 
    During my time in the Corps, I lived in or spent time in 7 different US states and in 14 foreign countries.
    After i left the Marine Corps, I have been to a few other US states, and about 9 more foreign countries which were not on the first list. 

~
      January 29, 2017 6:19 AM MST

My dad was a Marine! Of all the places you've visited, lived do you have a favorite? Thank you for your thoughtful and informative answer Randy and Happy Monday! :)
      January 30, 2017 3:28 AM MST

It's hard to narrow down a single location because many have great if varying qualities. Singapore impressed me a lot, as did Hong Kong, Perú, and Thailand. I have a strong affinity to The Philippines also. 
    Who would have thought that your father and I had something in common?  That's great!
    ~
      January 30, 2017 5:55 AM MST

That is my cup o' tea. I've never really lived in a neighborhood but I have lived in the same county my whole life. My closest neighbor lives about 2 miles away. I still meet new people but never tire of the ones I've known all my life. There are 6 state parks within a short driving distance, state gamelands and state forests nearby as well. I love nature and wildlife so I plan on being here until I'm pushing daisies. 
      January 29, 2017 7:05 AM MST

So you are where you want to be and happy? Life can't get any better than that MM. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      January 30, 2017 3:26 AM MST

Happy Monday to you!  :). I am happy where I'm at. Life is good but there is always room for improvement. 
      January 30, 2017 4:45 AM MST

Room for improvement is always a potential until you're dead. So where there is life there is hope! Funny how familiar that seems! :) I'm happy where I am too MM for which I am very grateful. Now that is not to say that winning the Lotto would be unwelcome. I'm just sayin'! :)
      January 30, 2017 4:46 AM MST

Exactly!  :)
      January 30, 2017 4:49 AM MST

not necessarily, depends on who your neighbors are, im not too crazy about mine
      January 29, 2017 2:51 PM MST

Sorry to hear that pearl. Can you move? Thank you for your reply.
      January 30, 2017 3:27 AM MST

• Mrs Didge and I moved into our home in 1963. But although we live in the same place life takes us away from it for all manner of reasons including work, sport, recreation, vacation, and so on. So we get to interact with diverse groups and individuals. 
      January 29, 2017 5:29 PM MST

Which you like or your wouldn't do it, wouldja? Thank you for your reply Didge! That  5-set Australian Open Final was one of the best matches we've ever seen. You too?
      January 30, 2017 3:25 AM MST