Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Malizz
Randy D
Reverend Muhammadovsky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What will be the next developments in personal motor vehicles? Will we ever be able to fly the things? What problems do you see?

What will be the next developments in personal motor vehicles? Will we ever be able to fly the things? What problems do you see?

Posted - January 30, 2017

Responses

Oh I have read many articles recently about many start up companies in the US and overseas who are trying their best to bring the first true flying car to market. If they do I think I will and travel underground. The way the so called educated driver drives on the ground leaves me to believe they will be falling out of the sky like bird poop.
      January 30, 2017 4:56 PM MST

• Ancient, I've come to the conclusion that most drivers are pretty darned good. The relatively low (relative to the number of idiots on the road) number of accidents speaks volumes for the average person's defensive manoeuvres. 
      January 30, 2017 5:08 PM MST

Good point...I would add compared to the miles logged, as well.
      January 30, 2017 5:19 PM MST

There will be automatic flying vehicles along chosen corridors in the sky.  I hope. 
      January 30, 2017 5:09 PM MST

• There'll be room for wide corridors and, of course, different altitudes for different directions. 
      January 30, 2017 5:23 PM MST

There already are, but they're expensive, unreliable and VERY thirsty.
      January 30, 2017 5:28 PM MST

• Correct on all counts, Startibartfast. Those are all areas that will need to be addressed.
      January 30, 2017 5:56 PM MST

• I think cars will be a thing of the past, in the future. We'll be using giant air tubes, like the ones we use at the drive through at the bank.

Related image
      January 30, 2017 8:24 PM MST

• Why not scrap the air tubes altogether and go straight for the human cannonball effect? 
      January 30, 2017 8:31 PM MST

• They already tried that but the landings were kind of bloody. Those big nets are hard to hit.
      January 30, 2017 8:32 PM MST

• I had a mishap with a net with a commando unit. We had a makeshift flying fox -- chuck a wet rope over a line and scream down from the cliff above. I bent my knees at the right time, and swung my back to the cargo net at the right time, but my feet were slightly apart and one caught the edge of the net. It spun me around and I went head first through the hole in the net. Didn't have an inch of skin left on my face. 
      January 30, 2017 8:37 PM MST

• Wow, that does NOT sound like a fun day.
      January 30, 2017 8:38 PM MST

• I was with a long range reconnaissance unit but the commandos invited us for a 14 day unarmed combat course. I was the only volunteer from our unit. Toughest two weeks I ever spent. 
      January 30, 2017 8:40 PM MST

• I bet!!
      January 30, 2017 8:42 PM MST

• FAA regulations are a lot stiffer than DMV regulations.
    To become a pilot, you are giving a permit (after you pass a physical) which allows you to fly, with a licensed pilot present, to acquire the necessary logged hours to get your private license.
    Landings, at least initially, would be done at airports (I'm assuming). So an FCC license would be required to run your radio.

Anyway, I don't think all this is going to happen very soon without eliminating some of the FCC regs.
    If that happens, I'm with Ancient One! I'm looking for a hole, because there's too many licensed drivers that can't even parallel park!

Thirty-four US states license legally blind drivers.  If the FCC regs are modified in like fashion ... we're all in big trouble! 
      February 1, 2017 2:06 PM MST