Active Now

Malizz
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Drones are commonplace these days, from the military drone to toys for children.

Drones are commonplace these days, from the military drone to toys for children.

Is there any way that they, or jet packs, could even be used as a form of personal transport?

Posted - January 30, 2017

Responses

I do believe within the next ten years there will be a "personal jet pack" on the market. The man has made a few and he is looking for investors. For the life of me I can't remember his name off hand.
      January 30, 2017 4:57 PM MST

• I can see a new term being used in the newspapers: sky rage. 

There's a regulation in the hang gliding manual that says, "No pilot shall fly in such a manner that causes another pilot to take evasive action." They'd need to enforce that, big time. 

Then, of course, there's always the problem of malfunctions causing people to fall out of the sky and land on unsuspecting pedestrians. :( 
      January 30, 2017 5:05 PM MST

I don't have one.  :  (

I'd rather have a GoPro anyway. Nothing to see here but dark and dreary nothingness. 
    This post was edited by . at January 30, 2017 5:57 PM MST
      January 30, 2017 5:16 PM MST

• That sounds dismal, Morning Star. You need a holiday.
      January 30, 2017 5:58 PM MST

It would have to be a really big one. But if they can use a drone can be useful to deliver a missile and person should not be a problem. This post was edited by my2cents at January 30, 2017 5:58 PM MST
      January 30, 2017 5:23 PM MST

• I knew I was stretching the limits, but who knows what the future will bring? 
      January 30, 2017 5:58 PM MST

• But they will be carrying this pretty darn soon and I know someone who will go nuts over it! LOL

January 30, 2017 5:41 PM MST

• Me too. We gotta get him to come across. I think he's holding back waiting to see how your own idea develops. 
      January 30, 2017 5:59 PM MST

• He's already here!
      January 30, 2017 6:01 PM MST

• Went seaching after you told me and, sure enough, there was a picture of his ex. She's enough to turn me off my lunch. Well, almost. 
      January 30, 2017 6:53 PM MST

Boy I wish, but a drone can be a driverless car. Can it not? Even commercial airlines can be drones. Those sitting in the cockpit often use auto pilot anyway.
      January 30, 2017 8:59 PM MST

• That's true, but it's reassuring to know that there's a human hand up there ready to take control. It's gonna happen and they'll probably adapt to difficult conditions better than humans.
      January 30, 2017 11:09 PM MST

They exist already - one-man autogyros (a type of helicopter) were being built in the 1930s, we now have hang-gliders!

They need to be of sufficient rotary or fixed-wing area moving at a sufficient rate to support a human in the air, so need a significant amount of power etc, so the aircraft will never be as small as a drone.. Nor would they be drones anyway, by definition.  
      April 19, 2017 5:29 PM MDT