Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Arts » The price of art is governed partly by the gift of the artist, partly by market demand.

The price of art is governed partly by the gift of the artist, partly by market demand.

Is it worth the prices now being obtained?

Posted - February 1, 2017

Responses

People who I have met, who are amateur  artists, who try to sell their painting seem to agree $1.00 per square inch.  For new art, it is market demand, even if you are not that gifted. If you have sold to a big customer (Hotel or such) you can get big bucks, even if you are a poor artist. If you are dead, it is the gift of the artist, that raises the market demand.
      February 1, 2017 5:26 PM MST

• The $1/inch is interesting. Hadn't come across that. I've seen quite a few gifted artists trying to sell their work on market stalls. It must be tremendously difficult to break in. 
      February 1, 2017 5:29 PM MST

$1.00 per square inch.. if you have an 8x10" painting, you go for $80. Pays for canvas, brushes, paint and your time. Then you lower the price and see if you can get enough to buy a new canvas  (Rice paper for Ink Paintings is only about $0.10 a sheet, so that price can go way down LOL)
      February 1, 2017 5:34 PM MST

Well, your mastery of economics is not perfect. Demand for art is relatively low, but a lot of people have a lot of phony money that they need to spend on something real. Anything real. Prices paid for artwork depend more on Federal Reserve policy than anything else.
      February 2, 2017 2:11 AM MST

• My mastery of economics is on a par with my mastery of composing operas.  I wouldn't have expected the Fed to have much impact on the art world outside the US ... except, of course, if one of their decisions raised or lowers the number of wealthy Americans in the market.
      February 2, 2017 2:42 AM MST

Value of the US dollar has no effect on what people will pay me for my art.  I do not understand why you would think it would affect art in the world other then the US
      February 2, 2017 9:23 AM MST

• It was you who introduced the Fed as a factor. Perhaps we were speaking of different things: I was thinking more of the high priced art of the old masters while your point of view seems to be the everyday world of the artists of today. 

The perambulations of the Fed may well affect the first in limiting the amount of money available for high-dollar purchases (which could as easily affect international markets by taking some American collectors off the scene, if only temporarilky). 
      February 2, 2017 1:51 PM MST

Guess I do not understand. I was talking about the artist of today when I was speaking of money. Not old Masters. The part about being dead was because once the artist is dead, there will be nothing more by that artist, thus any of the work goes up in value. I never thought of high dollar international sales. Guess its my bad.  (Perhaps I should aim higher for my work, LOL) This post was edited by Maurice214 at February 2, 2017 5:15 PM MST
      February 2, 2017 3:39 PM MST