Active Now

my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » If I said, "I was Nefertiti's father" every Egyptologist on the planet would agree with me.

If I said, "I was Nefertiti's father" every Egyptologist on the planet would agree with me.

But if I wrote it, as I did here, they would quite rightly treat me as a nutter. Can you work out why? 

Posted - February 1, 2017

Responses

I and Aye are homonyms

Nefertiti with her husband Pharaoh Akhenaten and her three oldest daughters. Family Background: It is not known who Nefertiti's parents were. The most popular theory seems to be that Nefertiti was the daughter of the high ranking courtier Aye and his unnamed first wife.

But I doubt that *every Egyptologist* would agree. The latin alfabet is not used all over the world and even where it is the letter 'i' is pronounced in different ways. Our Danish 'i' sound is short and abrupt and have none of the 'ye' trailing it. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at February 2, 2017 7:24 AM MST
      February 2, 2017 1:19 AM MST

• I'll have to bow to your wisdom. I heard it with an Australian accent say Ay or Aye was pronounced I. I've worked it to death ever since. Thanks for the answer. 
      February 2, 2017 2:32 AM MST

Well, Aye'm glad we got that straightened out.
      February 2, 2017 2:03 AM MST

Did Nefertiti have two heads as do you?
      February 2, 2017 7:38 AM MST

• Hey! That's my daughter you're talking about. :( 
      February 2, 2017 1:52 PM MST