Active Now

Slartibartfast
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did you become it?

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did you become it?

I find  it an incredible feat of determination and luck when someone is able to determine what they want to be in life from a young age, and are born with the determination, talent, and environment that would make or allow for it to happen.

I wanted to be a hair stylist. .  . then a policeman. . . a stand up comedian.

You?

Posted - February 3, 2017

Responses

I wanted to be a Train Engineer,  but then steam engines were replaced by Diesel electric and were no longer so attractive. 
      February 3, 2017 8:54 AM MST

• I was looking into that, I didn't know that was such a big thing you know?
      February 3, 2017 11:29 AM MST

• "Forced into early retirement."  You betcha!
      February 3, 2017 8:56 AM MST

I had no aspirations for anything when I was little.
      February 3, 2017 9:18 AM MST

• Why?
      February 3, 2017 11:30 AM MST

• I had no idea what I wanted to be until I entered college. I decided on IT. I'm still trying to make that a reality though.
      February 3, 2017 9:25 AM MST

• I understand that, but you never wanted to be, I don't know, a policeman, or an ice cream vendor. .or something?
      February 3, 2017 11:38 AM MST

• Mailman was on my list. That and a dragonrider, lol.
      February 3, 2017 1:18 PM MST

• Dragonrider!!! Haha 
    That's great!
    Thanks Corey. )
      February 3, 2017 1:19 PM MST

• Anytime, my friend. I'm here all week!
      February 3, 2017 2:05 PM MST

• Same as element99.   Didn't really think about it as a child.  I just wanted to explore the wilds of the world on a houseboat with my faithful German Shepard  and a six gun.   I was pretty detached from reality as a lad. Some say I still am.
      February 3, 2017 10:37 AM MST

• Explorer, that's a good one.. . 
    That's like a bug, or a virus, it never goes away. You know what I mean?
    Thanks G.
      February 3, 2017 11:35 AM MST

I wanted to be the person at the drug store who made milkshakes and served Coke with cherry juice in it.  I thought that would be the best job ever.  No, I didn't reach that goal.
      February 3, 2017 10:57 AM MST

• That's a good one T, 
    I remember watching a commercial for Vidal Sassoon and how everybody was so happy and the hair cutting guy was so cool. I also thought that would have been the best job ever. 
      February 3, 2017 11:33 AM MST

You know that is cute.  Did you reach that goal?   
      February 3, 2017 8:27 PM MST

• You know I didn't become Vidal Sassoon no, but thru the years I've learned how to cut hair, I can also do a mean French braid. Not all lose either. )
      February 3, 2017 9:11 PM MST

You know, it's impossible to find a malt anymore. I wonder if McDonald's could bring 'em back?
      February 4, 2017 5:41 AM MST

We still have a drug store with a counter where you can get banana splits, malts, shakes, cones, cups as well as kosher hot dogs and turkey sandwiches.  They make everything right in front of you.  Pretty expensive but if want a seat you're going to have to wait.   
      February 5, 2017 10:09 PM MST

I wanted to be a scientist. I thought Thomas Edison was really righteous. But as fate would have it, I was dreadful at mathematics. 
      February 3, 2017 12:34 PM MST

• That's funny, that's a bummer eh? The math thing.
    Yes, I remember also wanting to be a.scientist. ))
    Thanks BH.
      February 3, 2017 9:13 PM MST