Active Now

Reverend Muhammadovsky
Element 99
Randy D
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Communication » When someone tells you "we'll talk soon" what does that mean to you? What is the min/max timeframe of SOON to you? Why?

When someone tells you "we'll talk soon" what does that mean to you? What is the min/max timeframe of SOON to you? Why?

Posted - February 6, 2017

Responses

just what they said , that theyd talk to you soon
      February 6, 2017 9:58 AM MST

Face value.  Keep it simple and don't read anything else into it.  I like it pearl!
      February 6, 2017 6:14 PM MST

You didn't answer my question pearl.
      February 7, 2017 2:40 AM MST

depends on what their definition of soon is
      February 8, 2017 2:40 PM MST

• It probably depends who said it. If I asked my boss for a raise and he said that I'd take it as a rejection. If it was a friend I'd take it at face value.
      February 6, 2017 12:07 PM MST

Good Point Didge :)
      February 6, 2017 6:08 PM MST

It's a friend about whom I am very worried. It's been days and so far "soon" hasn't shown up. I don't want to badger him. There was some sort of upheaval in his life and he made a very big change that makes no sense to me. Clearly I don't know what the "problem" was/is or the catalyst. But I worry. Thank you for your reply Didge and Happy Tuesday! :)
      February 7, 2017 2:42 AM MST

Soon is a very relative term.  What is soon to some may not be soon to another.  
    As Didge was saying,  how it is used in a sentence, written or verbally,  gives it very different meanings. 
    I have found, most of the time it is used to give you the brush off.  It is normally used in closings.
      February 6, 2017 6:13 PM MST

I shall give you the specifics without being specific Merlin. Got an email from a close friend. I was among those on the distribution list of all his friends and relatives. It announced an enormous change in his life. Out of the blue. No warning.  He said an explanation would be forthcoming. After a few days of silence I sent an email that  simply said  "Are you OK"? He returned the email and said he is ok and "we'll talk soon". That was days ago. I am very worried but I don't want to badger him. So I wait. Soon to me means a couple of days or so. Thank you for your reply Merlin and Happy Tuesday! :)
      February 7, 2017 2:46 AM MST