Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What are the chances of Germany leaving the European Union next?

What are the chances of Germany leaving the European Union next?

Posted - February 6, 2017

Responses

• From what I've read? It's about a 50/50 thing but there hasn't been any recent news that I could find. 

Will Germany leave the EU? Will Germans DEMAND their own ...

February 6, 2017 9:00 AM MST

A quick Google didn't give me a clear answer either. 
      February 6, 2017 12:19 PM MST

• Slim to none IMHO. That's Merkel's   golden child.  I don't think the notion would ever gain any traction in the German government. IMHO.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 6, 2017 9:09 AM MST
      February 6, 2017 9:03 AM MST

• I think you're right!
      February 6, 2017 9:09 AM MST

• The German contingent on the EU is consistently the side that wants to increase it's scope and abilities.  Why would that change all of a sudden?
    Speaking as a total outsider halfway around the world that is.
      February 6, 2017 9:17 AM MST

• Makes no sense to me but after reading about that new Party in Germany? It kind of reminds me of the 30's there. NSDAP?
      February 6, 2017 9:20 AM MST

• How could it not?
    I can understand wanting national currencies back and a return of  sovereignty but the whole mixing of races, gay cult, and blah, blah, blah would be frightening if I was a German national.
      February 6, 2017 9:30 AM MST

• Agree!
      February 6, 2017 9:30 AM MST

OK. So Germany encourages EU power. Is it the establishment there or the people also? 
      February 6, 2017 12:37 PM MST

What does a currency have to do with sovereignty? Should each of the 50 states in the US have their own currencies? Same with foreign policies? Tax regulations, and tariffs on goods between the states? Free movement of labours? Should all 50 states have their own Of everything? Would of course be a great way of minimising the impact a POTUS would have which under the current situation would be great. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 6, 2017 10:40 AM MST
      February 6, 2017 9:43 AM MST

Good points but am I missing something?..we have 50 states. 
    But no they cannot have their own money...the do have their own tax policies. Somethings are states rights others are federal issues.
      February 6, 2017 9:52 AM MST

My bad, I'll correct it. Thank you. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 6, 2017 11:17 AM MST
      February 6, 2017 9:57 AM MST

• Don't beat yourself up about it ( I know your not).  A few of our own officials  have gotten it wrong here and there. 
      February 6, 2017 10:34 AM MST

• States and nations are a tad  bit different.   Not saying how I would feel personally because as a non-European it has no bearing on me or any of my business, yet I could understand why a nation would want to control and have it's own currency and have it autonomous from another.

Currency has a lot to do with sovereignty.  Anything to do with the economy of a nation does.
    (50 states)
    If it has any bearing, yes I do believe the states here should go back to having more autonomy from each other and the central government here. Also there is a fair amount of variety in the taxing and regulations between the individual states,  the only ones being consistent  are Federal. That doesn't really matter though since the US isn't the world standard or the be all and end all of how things should be.
    States and nations aren't the same thing either.
      February 6, 2017 10:04 AM MST

The hole idea behind EU is creating an internal market, and to protect interests of its member states. They do by far a lousy work within foreign policies, that's for sure.
      February 6, 2017 10:14 AM MST

• I get the idea, yet I can fully understand why one nation that is typically economically strong want to bring the variable of a typically economically weak or unstable nation onto themselves.
    The problem is that one nations interest often is opposed to the interest of the other. There's reasons for both sides on that aspect is all I'm saying.
      February 6, 2017 10:39 AM MST

The issue is that the one true strong economy inside EU (including U.K., they haven't left yet) is the German. 
      February 6, 2017 10:44 AM MST

• True. Which is why I can understand the monetary side of it. I can see not wanting the political and economic climate of another nation tied to ones own like that.

It's the other garbage of the new party that I just can't fathom or reason with in any way. I sincerely hope it stays a fringe group with no popular support for y'all.
      February 6, 2017 10:56 AM MST

They are to be taken very seriously, and have several years of existence already. They have penetrated municipalities, and even on Bundesland level. They aren't that new but have become more bold with the right wing tendencies other places around Europe, and now also Trump and his administration. If EU falls apart it will become very critical, even with the German constitution that tries prevent former times regime. meh.
      February 6, 2017 11:10 AM MST

• Never said they shouldn't be taken seriously as a threat.
      February 6, 2017 11:22 AM MST

I know. 
      February 6, 2017 11:25 AM MST

• Kewl. ^_^
      February 6, 2017 11:31 AM MST

The isolationist policies by other nations could be like putting gasoline on the fire in Germany and the extremist right wingers. The world is very much in a time of insecurity. The Brexit and Trumps flirts with Putin and Russia are first steps towards an even less safe world for all of us. 
      February 6, 2017 9:37 AM MST

So do you think it could take hold and Germany want to leave. 
      February 6, 2017 11:31 AM MST