Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » I wonder why biblical scholars didn't smack Trump down when he said his favorite Bible quote is "an eye for an eye". Do you wonder too?

I wonder why biblical scholars didn't smack Trump down when he said his favorite Bible quote is "an eye for an eye". Do you wonder too?

It originated in the 18 century B.C. Code of Hammurabi!  Multiple CENTURIES before the Bible was written! It does show up in the Bible but it is not advocated.

Posted - February 11, 2017

Responses

Trump is no Christian even though many on the religious right want him to be and for now he pretends to be. He is more Nephilum in behavior than Christian. that being said we have had them before.
      February 11, 2017 8:10 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful answer O and Happy Sunday. I need your help with something. I looked up "Nephilum" in my Webster's unabridged dictionary because I have never seen/heard it before and it isn't there. What is it or who are they? I love learning new words so thank you for introducing it. Now I just need to know its meaning! :)
      February 12, 2017 2:24 AM MST

Sorry it took so long. i just read your post. Don't ever think I am purposely ignoring you unless we are arguing and I have nothing nice to say ;)
    https://youtu.be/gmmfmCdqzbQ
      February 15, 2017 8:34 PM MST

I don't :)  Same from me to you. I can't keep up with the responses I get O. I try hard but I ask so many questions and get a lot of replies that I get buried all the time. So when I don't get back to you it isn't purposeful! It's also nice that you ignore me if you have nothing nice to say. I appreciate that! ((hugs))
      February 16, 2017 1:58 AM MST

Nephilim in the Bible are mixed between human and angels (fallen angels) .....Their existence was a large reason for the flood of Noah.  To get rid of them. 
      February 16, 2017 4:18 AM MST

• Trump isn't the first politician to get it wrong. 

Ma Ferguson (Texas governor in the late 1920s) was opposed to allowing Spanish to be taught as a second language in Texas schools. She said, "If English was good enough for our lord and saviour, Jesus Christ, it's good enough for Texas." Honest! 
      February 11, 2017 11:42 AM MST

•   February 11, 2017 8:53 PM MST

• Love it. :D 
      February 11, 2017 9:11 PM MST

Thank you for the spot-on graphic Karen and Happy Sunday. It is His job to forgive us for ignorance/stupid/dumb.  He is very good at that. I don't get why the enormous SILENCE  protects The Donald. It is as if the people appreciate lies and bullsh** and absolute absence of any intelligence or common sense or decency. Why I do not know. We are drowning in the bullsh**. :(
      February 12, 2017 2:32 AM MST

Geez Louise Puhleez!  I cannot believe the degree of abject ignorance/dumbness that afflicts politicians. It is all around us and surrounds us and we are drowning in a sea of stupid. As a class intelligence-wise they are way below average. How did we get so lucky? Thank you for your reply Gidge and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 12, 2017 2:28 AM MST

not sure why either
      February 11, 2017 8:47 PM MST

Thank you for your reply pearl and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 12, 2017 2:28 AM MST

Why would they smack him down? He is quoting the Bible  "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth...." is in the Bible. 
    It is in Exodus 21 and in Deuteronomy 19. It is the telling the judges in Israel to make appropriate punishments for crimes. 

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/exodus/21-24.htm

This post was edited by my2cents at February 15, 2017 6:32 PM MST
      February 15, 2017 6:28 PM MST

When properly used tis okay but when taken out of context, which I've never heard it not taken out of context, it becomes do unto your enemies as they do unto you. We know, living under the New Testament, that, that now is not Jehovah God's will. So to have that as a favorite quote raises questions about redemption and spiritual state before God. Does he acknowledge Jesus as Lord? Do not be deceived. Not all God worshippers are Christian. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 15, 2017 11:27 PM MST
      February 15, 2017 8:48 PM MST

I agree Trump is misunderstanding the verse. But that was not the point of this question. This question implies that the "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, foot for a foot...." Is not in the Bible. And Trump is actually quoting this Code of Hammurabi. Do you not see the irony? Wanting the smackdown of one person for ignorance of the Bible by using ignorance of the Bible?

Trump claims to be Christian. Franklin Graham  (Billy Graham's son) has said Trump is a new Christian. I will not question Trump's Christianity. That is not my place only God can do that as God is the only one who knows what is truly in our hearts. 

But yes most people do not know the true meaning of "eye for an eye....." and evidently even in Jesus time people were applying it as personal conduct. Where Jesus corrects it in the Sermon on the Mount applying it to personal conduct "love those who hate you...."

Trump reading on the Eye for an eye verse, he believes it to mean you must show strength if someone does something and "hit back" Or they will keep abusing you. I seen the full quote somewhere. 
    Again yes he is misinterpreting it as most people do.

February 16, 2017 4:57 AM MST

It is in one section of the Bible where it is NOT ADVOCATED. It is followed by "turn the other cheek" m2c. You are unaware of that?
      February 16, 2017 2:00 AM MST

Exodus and Deuteronomy are books of the Bible. And it is instructions to the Israelites. My link brings you to one of the verses and explains the meaning.

Yes of course I am aware Jesus quotes it in the Sermon on the Mount (in Matthew) but do not be decieved into believing Jesus was quoting from some other religions. Jesus was teaching from the Biblical scrolls. 
    This post was edited by my2cents at February 16, 2017 4:37 AM MST
      February 16, 2017 4:24 AM MST

Jesus rejects revenge and retaliation m2c. That would exclude "an eye for an eye". That is The Donald's favorite "Biblical quote". Read into it whatever you wish. I know how I read it. The Donald hasn't a clue what's in the bible. He just frantically grabbed what came to mind. He is a fake, phony, lying evildoer. He doesn't read books. He says The Bible is his favorite book. Which he has not read nor will he read it. He says his second favorite book is "The Art of the Deal" which he says he wrote. He did not. Another lie. His ghost writer wrote it. All the guy does is lie. All you do is defend him. I don't know why. This post was edited by RosieG at February 16, 2017 6:44 AM MST
      February 16, 2017 4:39 AM MST

Yes and God the Father rejects revenge. "Vengeance is mine sayth the Lord"

But that is not what is implied in the question. This question says that the "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, foot for a foot...." Is not in the Bible. And Trump is actually quoting this Code of Hammurabi. Do you not see the irony? Wanting the smackdown of one person for ignorance of the Bible by using ignorance of the Bible? The "eye for an eye..." Law is in both Exudus and Deuteronomy instruction for judges (true not the people). Basically means if you steal my cow, I take you to court, the judge is to rule you must replace my cow with a cow as healthy as my cow you stole from me. Not with 2,3 or 10 cows. The law is there to make us whole not enrich us. 
    Yes Jesus quotes it from the scriptures (the Bible not the Code of Hammurabi) correcting the people who evidently  also misunderstanding the Law believing it applies to personal life allowing them to exact their own punishments on offenders. These are verses that people misunderstood for centuries, millinia in fact. And still to this very today.....Trump misunderstands it and so do you....unless I misread your comment above. If anyone believes "eye for an eye" is about revenge... misunderstands the meaning.
    This post was edited by my2cents at February 16, 2017 5:21 AM MST
      February 16, 2017 5:15 AM MST

I reread the question and Rosie does say "It does show up in the Bible but it is not advocated. " So the question is not saying it is not in the Bible, making Trump ignorant, but implying Trump should be smacked down for it being his favorite quote and from what I have gathered his interpretation, correct or incorrect cannot be determined. We assume he is interpreting it incorrectly with no evidence that he is other than it being his favorite quote. I cannot question Trump's Christianity from this nor should he be smacked down because of it. Methink my2cents correct in defending him but wrong in joining us in our assumptions.
      February 16, 2017 7:02 AM MST

O, reread the question. Is saying Trump is not quoting the Bible. That he is quoting this Code of Hammurabi. And yes it is mentioned in the Bible but only by Jesus speaking against it. As if it is not in Exudus and Deuteronomy. That Jesus was not quoting the OT scriptures but some Code from some other religion.
    If you are not sure the confirmation is in the first reply to my answer which says: 

"It is in one section of the Bible where it is NOT ADVOCATED. It is followed by "turn the other cheek" m2c. ..."

Full quote:

"Is there a favorite Bible verse or Bible story that has informed your thinking or your character through life?"

"Well, I think many. I mean, you know, when we get into the Bible, I think many. So many," Trump responded.

“And some people — look, an eye for an eye, you can almost say that," he said. "That’s not a particularly nice thing. But you know, if you look at what’s happening to our country, I mean, when you see what’s going on with our country, how people are taking advantage of us, and how they scoff at us and laugh at us. And they laugh at our face, and they’re taking our jobs, they’re taking our money, they’re taking the health of our country," he continued. "And we have to be firm and have to be very strong. And we can learn a lot from the Bible, that I can tell you."

February 16, 2017 8:46 AM MST

The question is a mix of suggesting he really does not know what's in the Bible and  thinking that what he believes is, is advocated and a rule to live by. Methink more the latter but I can see why you focus on the former. Rosie elsewhere goes on to say the Bible is his favorite book, then he would know what's in it and what is not, if true. The basis of your argument is whether the quote is in the Bible. The basis for mine is we don't know what he is advocating. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 16, 2017 8:59 AM MST
      February 16, 2017 8:56 AM MST

I agree he doesn't understand the verse.

But the primise of the question is also incorrect. And actually misunderstands the verse as well. 
      February 16, 2017 9:01 AM MST

After fully reading your last post. I admit I just scanned it. He does imply that he interprets the passage incorrectly as do so many, but again it cannot be determined beyond doubt "And some people — look, an eye for an eye, you can almost say that," is neither here nor there. Is talking about himself or other people and can you say that or almost? Typical Trump fashion. He leaves himself wiggle room. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 16, 2017 9:11 AM MST
      February 16, 2017 9:09 AM MST