Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "Customer's always right."

"Customer's always right."

"The customer's always right." Do you agree, or disagree with this statement? Why, or why not?

Posted - February 11, 2017

Responses

• When you own your own business? Yes, the customer is always right and you have to let them know that. But inside? You know whether they are right or just want extra things for free. I learned these lessons when I owned my shop. Have to be nice and agree if you're going to make money. In 15 years, I only threw one customer out as he was a real pain and insulted my receptionist.
      February 11, 2017 8:56 AM MST

• It's nice to have a former business owner's input. I see too many people act like jerks and treat retail workers like dirt, to turn around and play victim. Like you said, if a business wants to make money the customer's always right.
      February 11, 2017 8:59 AM MST

• I may not have always liked it but I had to smile and bear it.
      February 11, 2017 9:02 AM MST

There are exceptions to the business owner having to grin and bear it, Rooster.  When accomodating the customer's demands makes the business owner (or their employees) liable for fines or other legal liability...then the customer is wrong.
      February 11, 2017 5:02 PM MST

• "Disagree" ... "The customer is always right" is a marketing slogan that has unveiled many "dishonest customers."
      February 11, 2017 9:03 AM MST

• I agree, but I also see Rooster's point. If you want to keep customers you have to follow that quote. 
      February 11, 2017 9:04 AM MST

• I agree with Rooster too. If you're a business person ... you live by the slogan, whether you like it or not.
    On the other hand, there are far too many customers that take advantage of that slogan.

February 11, 2017 9:15 AM MST

• I completely agree. Far too many times I have seen customers lie, treat workers like dirt, and then play victim to receive discounts, etc. Retail sucks to work in. 
      February 11, 2017 9:17 AM MST

• To really experience work suck try food service. Especially anywhere with counter service. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 11, 2017 6:42 PM MST
      February 11, 2017 6:42 PM MST

• Maybe those are customers one can do without and be better off for it. 
      February 11, 2017 6:44 PM MST

No. They aren't always right.  There are a lot of folks out there that lie everyday just to get free stuff.
    But, if you work in retail you have to smile and bear it.
      February 11, 2017 9:05 AM MST

• Not a chance. It's just a slogan that businesses use to persuade recalcitrant customers that they'll put up with their bad manners and crappy attitude.

Sure, business people will accept a great deal of rubbish from customers but acceptance STILL doesn't make it right.
      February 11, 2017 11:34 AM MST

• The customer is often a boorish  oaf who wouldn't know their elbow from their... well, you get the picture.
      February 11, 2017 12:22 PM MST

• Yes and the need a foot there.
      February 11, 2017 6:40 PM MST

that depends on what happened
      February 11, 2017 4:45 PM MST

• No. Absolute rubbish. No one is "always right".  Mostly whiney, complaining customers are either lashing out against an easy target, the waiter, counter help or clerk, because they cannot express their own frustrations with their own job or how their day is going.  Or this same person hope to be coddled and mollified by a free dessert, a discount coupon or the like.  What is really needed is a resounding, teeth rattling gob clap.
      February 11, 2017 6:39 PM MST

• I agree with ALF. It's a marketing technique/sales pitch. It's not an actual rule of business. 
      February 12, 2017 9:32 AM MST