Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Which would be worse: being ignored, or being ignorant?

Which would be worse: being ignored, or being ignorant?

~

Posted - February 17, 2017

Responses

• Hi Randy,

At first blush here, I would say being ignorant is worse. Being ignored would never give me a chance to express myself to open ears. Perhaps being better educated and knowledgeable, would give me a voice heard. Either way, it would give me the wisdom to care or not, what others may think.

Happy Friday!

JB 
      February 17, 2017 6:58 AM MST

• I'd rather be ignored, I'd hate to be ignorant and because of that I feel being ignorant is way worse... I encounter it all the time online... I do feel sadness and despair for them and those around them.. 

But I have also learned that the truly ignorant are usually blissfully unaware of their own ignorance... they are able to delude themselves in a way I find fascinating and I think it's an evolutionary thing... in a world full of even average intelligent people the ignorant can only survive by not knowing how stupid they are.. if they knew it would be disastrous for their kind..

So they don't know.. ignorance is bliss when you don't know you are ignorant
      February 17, 2017 7:12 AM MST

That's not an easy one to reply. Normally I'd say being ignorant is worst. But, on the other hand there will be people that are better ignored.
      February 17, 2017 7:17 AM MST

• Ignored is worse in my estimation as almost every human needs human interaction and so if you are not ignorant who is going to know as you are ignored.
      February 17, 2017 8:11 AM MST

Being ignored is worse. To be ignorant, you are uneducated. That is something that one can fix themselves. They can change that and become knowledgeable. Being ignored means changing others, who may not want too change. It is a much harder problem to correct.  
      February 17, 2017 8:51 AM MST

• Good answer, tho I would say that generally people who are ignored can fix this... psychologically it's generally something within ourselves that causes others to ignore us, perhaps we are standoffish, or shy or we don't put ourselves forward... it's often related to a poor self esteem.. but that can be fixed.. The trouble with ignorant people is they often don't want to be fixed, they are happy in their ignorance bubble thinking they are right.
      February 17, 2017 9:29 AM MST