Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Do people who spoil their kids ever think about the potential damage they are doing to their kids? I'm assuming not because they do it

Do people who spoil their kids ever think about the potential damage they are doing to their kids? I'm assuming not because they do it

anyway. Overindulgence is labelled the second worst thing to do to kids because it doesn't prepare them for life. They grow up to expect special treatment like they're used to and can't cope when that doesn't happen. The absolute worst thing is abuse. 

Posted - February 17, 2017

Responses

• Long before "helicopter parenting" was coined, Robert Heinlein wrote, "Don't handicap your children by making their lives too easy." It's true on many levels  but the worst case we've seen in recent years was "the affluenza teen". Google it if you don't know the story.
      February 17, 2017 5:59 PM MST

Yeah the media went on and on about the influenza teen. I remember all that.I don't remember the outcome though.
      February 17, 2017 6:13 PM MST

• He was given parole, broke it, skipped to Mexico with his mother to avoid arrest, built up a big bill with a Mexican brothel, they sent their debt collectors around to collect, he was arrested in Mexico, sentenced as a minor, and will do a year or so in a Texas juvenile facility till he turns 18. Pretty lenient for killing four people.
      February 17, 2017 6:23 PM MST

• The actress Emma Thompson said "as a parent there are times when you're going to be hated".  It's much easier to give in and let children have their way or give them what they want.  I see parents now who want to be friends with their children and one mother told me she was afraid her children wouldn't like her if she was strict with them but the opposite is actually true.  Spoilt children have no respect for their parents, their demands just become more and more difficult to fulfill. 

As our children become adults we can be friends but children need parents to give them firm guidelines, we can't be friends we have to be parents.

February 18, 2017 12:04 AM MST

• Point well made, YogaFan. The relationship may be rocky at times but parents really need to accept responsibility and do what's right. At least, that's my opinion.
      February 18, 2017 1:08 AM MST