Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Any questions?

Any questions?

Below is the “Top 10” list of President Obama’s nominees and appointees who have resigned in disgrace.

1. Obama’s nominee to chair the National Intelligence Council, Chas Freeman, withdrew over questions about payments from the Saudi Arabian government, business ties to the state-owned China National Offshore Oil Corp., and negative statements he made about U.S. support for Israel. After he resigned he issued a combative public statement blaming the “Israel lobby” for “character assassination.” 

2. White House “Green Jobs” czar Van Jones resigned after he it was discovered he signed a statement in support of a 9/11 “Truther” group. 

3. Former Sen. Tom Daschle (D-South Dakota) withdrew his nomination to become Health and Human Services Secretary after it was discovered he failed to properly pay his taxes. 

4. Nancy Killefer, Obama’s nominee to serve as the government’s chief performance officer, withdrew due to tax problems. 

5. Governor Bill Richardson (D-New Mexico) withdrew his nomination to become Commerce Secretary because of an ongoing investigation into whether he doled out government contracts in exchange for campaign money. 

6. White House Social Secretary Desiree Rogers resigned after posing for photos at a White House dinner that a couple crashed through security to attend. 

7. Jonathan Z. Cannon, nominated to serve as deputy director at the Environmental Protection Administration, withdrew over questions about a defunct non-profit, America’s Clean Water Foundation, where he served as a board member. In 2007, EPA auditors accused the non-profit of mismanaging $25 million in taxpayer funding. 

8. Jide Zeitlin, Obama’s nominee to serve as U.S ambassador to the United Nations for management and reform withdrew his name while being accused of identify fraud and improper business practices. 

9. Erroll Southers, Obama’s nominee to serve as director of the Travel Security Administration, withdrew after refusing to answer questions about collective bargaining and false testimony he presented to Congress. 

10. Maj. Gen. Robert A. Harding, Obama’s second nominee to service as director of the Travel Security Administration, withdrew his name after it was discovered he received “service disabled veteran” status for sleep apnea.

Posted - February 17, 2017

Responses

I bet that took a lot of cutting and pasting. Nice going, but I knew all about this. This post was edited by Zack at February 17, 2017 10:03 PM MST
      February 17, 2017 9:46 PM MST

• Hi Ishmael, It's a damning list and shows clearly that corruption is widespread in American politics. There would almost certainly have been others. Of course, Obama was president for eight years, Trump has been president for four weeks and his list of  corrupt or self-serving appointees is already impressive. 

And, of course, those are only his appointees. I didn't mention the 800 lbs gorilla with his hand in the cookie jar: President Trump himself.
      February 17, 2017 9:58 PM MST

• "Good job!" I hope your list brings you all it was created for.
      February 17, 2017 10:13 PM MST

• It's refreshing to hear that Obama had his problems in this area too.  I think Trump is being unfairly judged after only 4 weeks. 
      February 17, 2017 11:50 PM MST