Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Music » Do you ever enjoy some really dark music?

Do you ever enjoy some really dark music?

What is your favourite?

I hope this works...trying to put in LOVE OF THE LOVELESS, sung by the Eels...have loved this since I first heard it.
On my computer, it looks like the YouTube video is too large for the screen? Did it come out okay?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luudV9WnQqM

Posted - February 18, 2017

Responses

• That is unbelievably exquisite experience of music, WelbyQuentin.
    I had to look up 'threnody,' = lament...for victims of Hiroshima...
    Composer is still with us, born 1933. I see he is also a conductor? ...and I wonder if he also conducted this?

I also looked up his name, Krzysztof Penderecki, and the given name is a form of CHRISTOPHER. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 21, 2017 9:42 AM MST
      February 20, 2017 8:58 PM MST

Thanks for listening to it, VirginiaL! I really like it, too. It's not for everyone's tastes, that's for sure. I know a lot of people who don't like Penderecki's style.
    The "Threnody" is quite moving and powerful to me.
    I think I have since lost this CD -- I must replace it, it's a great one - - but from what I remember, I don't think Penderecki conducted any of the pieces on this CD but I may be wrong.
    :)
    Thanks again for listening and sharing your thoughts about the music!
      February 21, 2017 9:47 AM MST

• "Nope!  Scares me to death!"

February 20, 2017 8:07 PM MST

• Oh Alf! Not sure how to take your 'scared' comment there...anyway I enjoyed listening to this then went off to hear it on YouTube, and from there got into some lovely renderings of the Pachelbel Canon...nice time, ty!
      February 20, 2017 8:21 PM MST

• Sorry. 
      February 20, 2017 9:04 PM MST

• Oh no, Alf!
    No sorry-ness...I was joking a little bit...on YouTube, under the Mendelssohn, a few comments from folks who regretted walking the aisle to this music...
      February 20, 2017 10:21 PM MST

• It wasn't my point ... true, but if you didn't know what the music was named or traditionally used for ... it sounds dark enough to be in a horror movie! :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 21, 2017 12:55 AM MST
      February 20, 2017 11:09 PM MST

• Ha ha, just listened again and Got It, I think!
    Yes listening in that sense, you could almost imagine this being played at a silent movie rendition of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, or something...
      February 21, 2017 12:58 AM MST

im sure if think about it i could put down quite a few...and pick a different favorite fo all my moods.
      March 13, 2017 9:09 PM MDT