Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » The Mayo Clinic just performed its first facial transplant. A success! How would you feel looking into a mirror and seeing someone else?

The Mayo Clinic just performed its first facial transplant. A success! How would you feel looking into a mirror and seeing someone else?

Posted - February 18, 2017

Responses

• I looked at the before,during and after pictures and was amazed at what they did! I would feel great looking into the mirror if I looked like that poor guy before. Mayo clinic gave that guy a life again!
      February 18, 2017 5:57 AM MST

I believe it was done before elsewhere because I seem to recall another case with a face transplant occurred successfully. I think it's awesome. But I wonder what goes through one's mind when the reflection is so different? Thank you for your reply Rooster and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 19, 2017 2:34 AM MST

• English author, Desmond Bagley, asked himself the question, "What's the worst thing that could happen to you?" And he thought it would be waking one morning, looking in the mirror, and seeing somebody else's face. He wrote a thriller called The Tightrope Men based on that. It was a pretty good yarn.

Face transplants are new but the personal impact need be no more severe than somebody who has had extensive cosmetic surgery. Or so I suppose.
      February 18, 2017 6:13 PM MST

I'll have to look that up Didge. I read of another successful face transplant a few years ago. It gave the man a chance at living a normal life. It is the stuff of science fiction but in fact it is science fact. I'm just so used to seeing the face I have in the mirror. Of course it's changed since I was a little girl, teenager, young woman, middle-aged woman and now old woman. But I always recognized me. I wonder if one's personality changes at all? Thank you for your reply and the head's up on that book. The title seems vaguely familiar to me ! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 19, 2017 2:39 AM MST
      February 19, 2017 2:37 AM MST

• It's been long out of print and probably isn't worth chasing up but your question brought it to mind.
      February 19, 2017 2:39 AM MST

I can Google it and should get a nice storyline summary! Google is my friend Didge! :)
      February 19, 2017 2:44 AM MST

• How did we get along without it? I'll catch you again tomorrow. Have a happy Sunday, Rosie. :)
      February 19, 2017 2:48 AM MST

Happy Dreams kiddo! :)
      February 19, 2017 2:52 AM MST

didnt know they were doing that
      February 18, 2017 9:23 PM MST