Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What do you think happened to my job?

What do you think happened to my job?

I spent about 6 wks doing paperwork for this company where you hand out samples in the stores. including background checks and drug testing. I finally get done with all that and this lady calls me and asked me to go to this store and call her when i get there, shes  in another state, so i get there and call her, but i took my tracfone and it died in the middle of talking to her, it was fully charged and i didnt have my charger with me, i went to the managers there and told them what happened and they let me use their phone so i called her back and told her what happened. anyways, it was a phone call for about 40 minutes, kind of like training, afterwards when i asked her when im supposed to go there next she got kind of quiet and never answered me , the wk before i had gotten these emails asking me to click on if i was interested or not in offers for store training, i had clicked on interested in a couple of them to give them more options of when to go to in store training, Im short 4ft5 and the cart was taller than me and i wondered if one of the managers there called her back to tell her that, when i got home I noticed on my messages frocm them saying all those offers were gone. they took away the training. ive wondered if people discriminate cause of my size and wondered if thats what happened. any ideas of what happened and did i just lose the job? again?

Posted - February 19, 2017

Responses

Call the woman and ask her. Tell her that you need feedback on your interview technique. The only one who can tell you why you were turned down is the person who turned you down. If you have gone through that much of a process to try for a job, they owe you the courtesy of an explanation. Next time, when you are looking for a job ask if there are any physical requirements. You can even specifically ask if there is a height requirement. Take an active role in choosing which jobs to apply for. It could well be that it is your failure to ask questions makes you look like you are not really interested or that you are not outgoing enough to deal with the public.
      February 19, 2017 4:39 PM MST

• Dear Pearl,

What happened to you is just egregious...the extensive application process, and then suddenly dropping you with the silent treatment.

This will elaborate more on JaneS answer, because I also suggest you call the lady for feedback. 
    But the fact is that people in the job market are often treated like commodities...and so yes it might be your height, but if not employers will find some other reason to eliminate you. It can be discouraging, and quite scary when you seem to find all doors just slammed shut on you.

First of all, it sounds like some of the preliminaries happened by e-mail...is there any chance this was not a legitimate employer? In any case, call the lady and try to get an answer why you were dropped - and try very hard not to take anything personally, this is just information you are gathering...

As time goes on you will learn when to take a stand for your rights and when to just let it go, meanwhile gathering all the experience and knowledge you can. If your height really is the problem, all you would need here is a ten-inch platform to stand on!

February 19, 2017 6:21 PM MST