Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why can the flowers be appreciated for their many colors but the human skin cannot?

Why can the flowers be appreciated for their many colors but the human skin cannot?

Why must we see no color in skin (colorblindness) but the world is full of color. It's what gives it life. 

Posted - July 12, 2016

Responses

I love the various shades of people's skin.
      July 12, 2016 7:10 AM MDT

• Maybe because human beings are more than just for looking at .. as flowers are.  They're complex individuals with a lot of history.  People hate because they've been raised to do that in many cases.  Most of us see past "color".

July 12, 2016 7:41 AM MDT

• If someone is young, healthy, well-proportioned, and has good posture,

there's a high probability that most people will find him or her beautiful, irrespective of colour.

July 12, 2016 8:12 AM MDT

•   July 12, 2016 8:22 AM MDT

• Why does the color of someone's skin cause such a resistance or evasiveness when someone mentions it. If it's not an issue, it wouldn't be hard for some people to acknowledge it and appreciate it and then moving on instead of ignoring it, or getting defensive about it. 

July 12, 2016 8:24 AM MDT

• oh?

July 12, 2016 8:24 AM MDT

Everything would be so much better if it was all white, don't you think?   Then there would be no color to be blind about.  Just think.  Then we could hate each other for being too tall or too short.  Then we could hate each other for going out in the sun and getting tan.  The possibilities are endless.

It has NOTHING to do with color and everything to do with man's ability to compare and separate and hate and blame.  

Color just became a reason.

July 12, 2016 8:27 AM MDT
  • Bez

I've often wondered that myself, grilledcheesegirl, especially considering I'm old enough to remember the flower-power days of the late 60s. Sadly there are still a lot of ignorant bigots in the world who don't even appreciate flowers let alone people.

July 12, 2016 8:37 AM MDT

Colour blindness will in my objective mean nothing else than I'm looking at them the same. I'm looking for their person, and I will look at their beauty, but not based on a specific colour. I like the different colours.
      July 12, 2016 9:39 AM MDT

• Until we start deciding that red flowers are inferior and need to be enslaved, and yellow flowers commit all the crimes, and blue flowers are repressing everyone and have no culture, and orange flowers shouldn't be here because they're foreign, maybe there will be a comparison. 

July 12, 2016 9:47 AM MDT

• Conditioning maybe.  People grow up thinking that if you're different than they are .. you're weird or there's something wrong with you.  Racial conflicts have been going on forever .. and some people have long since forgotten why they feel those prejudices.  It's just a shame since they're really limiting their lives so much that way.

July 12, 2016 11:27 AM MDT

I think people with skin diseases do appreciate any color of healthy skin. They think it is such a blessing to have it.

Truly religious people look st all people as made in the image of God. God is good and he is truth. Truth is beauty.

Beauty is a state of mind. To truly see and enjoy it is a gift.
      July 12, 2016 11:47 AM MDT

• flower power ain't about greed and control.

people are greedy.... people love to wield power over other people. it's dog eat dog out there, for real.

July 12, 2016 9:04 PM MDT

• You know better than I do, grilledcheesegirl.

I was only thinking that Miss Universe, fashion models, and movie stars are all beautiful in their own different ways and they come in all colours. Since they have massive commercial and public backing it seems pretty mainstream.

You posted a fabulous video on your blog several days back.

It shows how history creates trauma in people and gets transmitted down through generations without being healed, and often the trauma recurring in each new generation.

It also showed how a dominant "race" suffers dissonance, a psychological wound from splitting off the part that causes harm to others from the perception of who the self is - the syndrome that helps perpetuate racism.

I don't really like acknowledging race - because genetically we are so similar that it makes no difference, except to how badly our skins burn in the sun.

But colour does make a difference culturally and socially purely because of prejudices and fears.

It's one of the worst tragedies in human conditioning.

I do think its possible to overcome it, but we have to create the will to do it on a world scale.

I actually believe most people prefer to live together in harmony and peace.

So what we really need to find is the way to influence the ones who hate.

We need a means for curing hatred.

July 12, 2016 11:53 PM MDT

Is it really colours? Isn't it more what the colours represent - differences?

If we were both the same shade of brown, but from different countries people would still find a reason to discriminate.

Colours just make it easier to pick out the differences.
      July 13, 2016 3:10 AM MDT

I think when it's discussed as a feature of beauty, it's ok. I don't see how it's any different than remarking about someone's hair or eyes, or even flowers for that matter. I don't see why it can't be used when you're describing someone as well, but at the same time, I'm wary about how I present it when I'm talking to my kids, especially the youngest. If, for example, he says he played with a boy named "John" in class and he really wants to invite John over to play, but there are two Johns, one who happens to be white and the other black, I'll ask my son to describe them, so I know I'm inviting the right kid over.

Well, my son was only 4 the last time that happened, and he said, "John.... you know, the one who likes Star Wars."

And I say, "Ok, but what does John look like?" 

And my son says, "He wears Star War shirts." 

In situations like this, I just let it be. I would be a bazillion times easier if I identified the friends by color, but that's not something I want to put into his mind. So, I just accept that John is the little boy who looks like he likes Star Wars and I have my son identify which one he's referring to next time we're in class together. I'm sure as he ages, it won't be an issue, but at such a young age, he is "colorblind," and I think that's kind of a beautiful thing worth preserving for now.

July 13, 2016 5:32 AM MDT

I'm not sure how you can say that with a straight face. Celebration of diversity is literally shoved in our face everywhere we look.
      July 13, 2016 8:29 AM MDT