Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
my2cents
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » I consider myself a Christian but not a good one, anymore. Does God's people hate me for this?

I consider myself a Christian but not a good one, anymore. Does God's people hate me for this?

I stopped going to church, I stopped praying everyday but pray occasionally, I stopped reading the bible, and sometimes the argument used in the name of God on here and other places make me roll my eyes. But I still believe in God and Jesus. Am I suffering from Cognitive Dissonance? 

Posted - July 12, 2016

Responses

• Personally, I think religion is a personal matter.  Everyone doesn't practice it in the same way.  I just don't believe that a loving God would hate at all .. let alone hate someone who still believes in him, but chooses to practice that belief in their own way.  God's "people" should be a reflection of him and respect you for how you live your life.  

July 12, 2016 1:37 PM MDT

No one should hate you. Perhaps you are suffering from discouragement?

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/resign/

What if a person no longer preaches or attends your meetings? Do you view that person as having resigned?

No, we do not. Resigning, or disassociating oneself, is different from becoming weak in faith. Often, those who for a time slow down or stop in their worship have not abandoned their faith but are suffering from discouragement. Rather than shunning such ones, we try to give them consolation and support. (1 Thessalonians 5:14; Jude 22) If the person wants help, congregation elders take the lead in providing spiritual assistance.—Galatians 6:1; 1 Peter 5:1-3.

July 12, 2016 1:52 PM MDT

None of the changes you describe make you a bad Christian.

People meet in groups to discuss Christ and to support each other in their giving thanks to God for giving up his only son to wash away our sins, Church. (The only "unforgivable sin is denial of God, which can't be forgiven for obvious reasons). But that's not a "requirement" to be a good Christian.

Regular prayer is good to remind yourself of why you following the teachings, but God already knows what's in your heart. You can't fake that part. (And sincere prayers can be very short, almost an afterthought, might not even noticed; "Thank you God for such a beautiful day." will do it.)

Reading the scriptures regularly (the Bible) serves as a good "refresher" as to why to believe, but it's not a requirement to be a good Christian either.

In fact, all you need do is to try your best to live by the teachings of Christ and the rest will fall into place and stay there for you. Just hope that come Judgement Day that you don't get in line behind some of the people that think that they can buy their way into a greater reward without any other effort; or worse, behind those that have convinced people that it's a "cash and carry" situation. (In other words, stay away from most of the televangelists!)

July 12, 2016 2:45 PM MDT

You have weakened spiritually because you have stopped nourishing yourself from God's word. You have also stopped communicating with God through prayer. Genuine God's people will never hate you, you will be welcomed with open arms. Don't pay attention to the criticism of the bible on this website, the ignorance is appalling, especially by the majority claiming to be christian.

July 12, 2016 4:02 PM MDT

"Does God's people"?????

They've sent me here with concerns about your grammar. Your spirituality is fine. Now open your lesson book to Chapter One and I shall begin . . .

:|
      July 12, 2016 4:06 PM MDT

• I'm not religious ... I often see it as more of a wedge than a glue that gives us together ... having said that, is I was the lady upstairs, I think I'd prefer someone to love a good life rather than make a show with the trappings ... but that's me

July 12, 2016 4:58 PM MDT

I dry spell, "This too shall pass" lol. Just because you don't attend church or read the bible doesn't make you a bad Christian, no worries!

July 12, 2016 5:56 PM MDT

• All the gods still like you.  More or less anyway.

July 12, 2016 7:38 PM MDT

No. I think you're becoming more aware of how misused "God" is.

When you truly believe in an omnipotent who hears, sees and knows all... Prayer and church seem kinda insignificant unless you simply want to worship or give thanks and one can easily do that through their deeds. Pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.

If it makes you feel better, I hear even God isn't well liked among "God's People." Just ask Jesus. What was it he said:

"The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord. It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?" ~ Matthew 10:24-25

Besides, you don't owe anyone an explanation.

July 12, 2016 8:12 PM MDT

No... We do not hate you..

No Christian is good..  thats basic Christianity 101.. I am amazed you where never told that..

July 12, 2016 9:03 PM MDT