Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do only rich people know freedom and everyone else the freedom of a chained dog in a fenced yard?

Do only rich people know freedom and everyone else the freedom of a chained dog in a fenced yard?

Posted - February 26, 2017

Responses

Rich people are free, no way! They are slaves to ego, snobbishness, insecurity, artificiality...I'm glad I'm not one;))
      February 26, 2017 10:32 PM MST

• Hi O-uknow,

I am with Veena.K here...material wealth is not the currency of freedom.
      February 26, 2017 11:03 PM MST

• It's a very sad question, Virginia. I feel very uncomfortable with it. 
      February 27, 2017 3:22 AM MST

• Dozy, but I can remember the days...long ago...I would read about how "money does not buy happiness," and I would think, "Yah well just give me the money, world, and I will be MORE than glad to just suffer along..."

In our dollar-driven world, for me it was a huge epiphany to finally come into some peace about wealth and don't spend time or energy yearning, chasing after it!
      February 27, 2017 7:37 AM MST

• The definitive argument came from that famed 20th century philosopher, Lou Costello: 
    Abbott: Money can't buy love. Money can't buy happiness. 
    Costello: Give me the money and I'll do my own shopping.
      February 27, 2017 11:26 AM MST

• Dozy that is so great...they have given us so many classics (philosophically speaking, of course).
      February 27, 2017 12:07 PM MST

Being rich is freedom? Hmm.

February 27, 2017 12:30 AM MST

Rich people have to keep finding places to hide their money so it doesn't get taxed.
      February 27, 2017 1:09 AM MST

• Rich people are like poor people but they have more money. 

You only need watch the news or read the papers to see how many rich people are stuffing their lives. What you don't read about is how many are leading happy, successful, fulfilling lives. Same applies to poor people except that we don't make the news. 

To think of yourself as a chained dog is very sad indeed. If those are your own thoughts, and not simply a hypothetical scenario, then you are missing out big time. If those are your own thoughts then talk to somebody urgently and try to sort it out. Life simply isn't like that.
      February 27, 2017 3:22 AM MST

The Royal Family have wealth, but they are very constrained in what they can do, and if they step outside of what is expected of them, they are criticised heavily.
      February 27, 2017 4:18 AM MST

seems like it sometimes
      February 27, 2017 9:53 AM MST

It depends on the person/persons with the money and what they do with it. Many rich people are slaves to their wealth because it's their god (the more they make, the more they want and to heck with everyone else). Other rich people are free because money isn't their god. (the more they make, the more they share and to make other's happy) I realize that it's an over-simplified answer but there ya go. I've never been rich but I've never considered myself a chained dog at any time. For me money is a necessity (pay the bills, food, etc) not a do all end all. This post was edited by Rufus Clancy at February 27, 2017 12:08 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 9:55 AM MST

• "The Freedom of the Rich"

February 27, 2017 11:54 AM MST