Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » History » Because of your old age what did you get to see that new generations won't get to see?

Because of your old age what did you get to see that new generations won't get to see?

In the 70's I loved watching the new cars roll off the production line then get driven to the holding lot. Sometimes the drivers would rev them up and pop the front wheels off the ground - like to see a smart car do that. So thats something I think new generations will never get to see. Cheers!

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

• "The Birth of the Internet."
      February 27, 2017 11:26 AM MST

And the several international networks before the internet. I communicated with folks in California on line directly, and sent email to someone in Europe.
      February 27, 2017 12:17 PM MST

• I sent my first email in 1952. Had to use Morse Code, of course, but that was my job. :)
      February 27, 2017 12:19 PM MST

Typical HAM.. Did you use a bug, or just a regular key?
      February 27, 2017 12:26 PM MST

• Nope, I wasn't a ham. Land line. We used sounders, not oscillators. Mostly we used bugs, though we didn't call them that. For whatever reason they were known in Oz as "jiggers". 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 27, 2017 12:59 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 12:30 PM MST

• To think that that was cutting edge technology then eh?
    Just occurred to me, just now as I write this, that maybe we could apply the same rational to ourselves.
    You know? When looking  at somebody wit a lot of old in him, we can say...
    "To think that this was cutting edge biology back then"
    Yes?
    No?
    Maybe? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 27, 2017 1:08 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 12:47 PM MST

• I'll agree with you, Lago, but only between the sniffles and the sobs. As Omar pointed out, "myself when young" could do lots of things that are now lost in the past. 
      February 27, 2017 1:10 PM MST

• I was born in the 1930s so I remember the popularisation of the motor vehicle. As a child only two or three people in my street owned them...

...which meant that, because we all walked in and out, everybody knew everybody else. It was a big city suburb that felt more like a country town.

Milk and bread were delivered by horse-drawn carts. We also had carts delivering clothes props and rabbits, but ice (in a pre-refrigerated era) was delivered by truck. I was often sent out with my billy cart to collect horse manure from the streets to use in our vegetable garden. 

It was a time when a woman could walk the streets safely at night and where crime was something that happened somewhere else. There were no drugs in Oz during that time; they arrived in the 1960s.

Then, of course there were all the big events: WWII and the many wars that followed it; the nuclear build-up and the Cold War; JFK, Armstrong's moon landing; and you know all the rest.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 28, 2017 10:29 AM MST
      February 27, 2017 12:03 PM MST

My father got a ride into town in a fellows fancy new auto.  He asked if he could try driving it a bit and drove about 5 miles down the road.  Then, when in town he thought he would get a drivers licence. "have you ever driven before" he was asked. To which he could honestly reply "Yes"   Ok the fellow said, here is your licence.  From that point on, he never took a test, simply renewed his licence till he died in his 90's.
      February 27, 2017 12:32 PM MST

• Love it! Great story, Maurice. :)
      February 27, 2017 1:11 PM MST

The original Star Wars movies on the "Big Screen". The movies before they were altered with CGI visual junk and ridiculous edits. Maybe Disney will someday restore these movies since they're not beyond doing anything for a quick billion dollars.
      February 27, 2017 12:05 PM MST

• This.
      February 27, 2017 12:05 PM MST

• Great one!
      February 27, 2017 12:47 PM MST

• Dear Nanoose,

In the 1950's, advertisers were scared to post a TV commercial over one minute long, because they worried viewers would be driven away.
    I cannot find it on YouTube, but there was one wonderful Kraft cottage cheese commercial, a little bird with only "six seconds to sing." So I liked the commercials, they were much easier to live with....now they seem to have equal time! (And I no longer watch TV.)

And, I liked the censorship in the 1950's; as a child I could go to movies and watch TV without violence, cursing or sexual explicitess (explicity?). I could just be a child...didn't have to grow up prematurely. Strange, because the 40's and 50's was the era of such great film noir, too...
    There were, of course, some negatives...I learned later the censorship era also proscribed many interracial scenes.

In a small town, I grew up without access to drugs; no temptation, which can be too difficult for many young people to make a good judgment about.

Hmmm...looking back at these, I seem to have listed the absence of negatives, rather than lost positives.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 27, 2017 5:21 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 1:20 PM MST

• Seeing color TVs come into every household for the first time
    • Listening to the radio to hear your favorite song
    • Seeing an astronaut walk on the moon on live TV
    • Answering a telephone without any idea who was actually calling
    • Leaving your front door unlocked
    • Being able to buy a Coke in a glass bottle for a dime
    • Pulling into a gas station and having an attendant pump your gas, check your oil, and wash you windows automatically
    • Going to the library if you needed to research something
    • Waiting to have a roll of film developed
      February 27, 2017 1:22 PM MST

• I remember all of that!
    PeaPod, you must be OLD....!
      February 27, 2017 1:39 PM MST

I must be!  Hahahaha.  
      February 27, 2017 1:53 PM MST

• Oh thank heaven, here...we survived our youth and middle age...
      February 27, 2017 2:03 PM MST

Imagine that.  LOL.
      February 27, 2017 2:04 PM MST

And I am older then PeaPod is.
      February 27, 2017 2:16 PM MST

• Hmmm...ima likin' this site better and better...
      February 27, 2017 2:22 PM MST

Stick around young lady!  We will show you a good time here.  Hahahaha
      February 27, 2017 2:46 PM MST

We are not old we are well seasoned.
      February 28, 2017 8:37 AM MST

• I'm older than *sob* God. 
      February 27, 2017 4:36 PM MST