Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Family » What do feel when you hear a parent introducing a child as adopted or as a stepchild?

What do feel when you hear a parent introducing a child as adopted or as a stepchild?

At Wal-Mart the.other day I saw a guy meet with some coworkers and putting a.hand on a kid's shoulders he.said to his friend, "hey meet my stepson Johnnie".

There was nothing overtly happening that made me think anything was amiss, but it still didn't feel right to me.

Why do men introduce their step children. As such and not as their sons or daughter?

My  feelings would get hurt evertkme he did that.

NOTE: Glis shoved me a thought a had not considered. What if all parties involved can actually get along and therrs and active ex father in this kids life. 

Should this step father call the kid son? Or.step son.?

Good point Gliss.

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

Hello Lago:

I HATE it.  It's like, meet my "fake" son..

excon
      February 28, 2017 6:12 AM MST

• That's exactly how I feel.
      February 28, 2017 5:36 PM MST

I had a girl friend one time who said her parents referred to her as their 'chosen' daughter. She seemed quite ok with that.

She was not well suited to them though; parents were both perfectionist type personalities and she was a little wild by nature.  She 'had to' run away from home during her teens to get away from them. She came back and both parties seemed to have learned how to  get along better. 
      February 28, 2017 6:35 AM MST

• I would feel a lot of pressure to perform with that kind.of a label hovering over my head, do you know what.I mean?
    Im glad the story had a happy ending.
    I understand your point K. Many people do seem to agree that if everybody is happy, it shouldn't really matter.
    I still think that at an age when a kid is looking for a place to belong and to be.loved, saying "meet my stepson" or meet my "adopted daughter" kind of reminds him of his place.
    I wonder if they say it for themselves?
    I do understand your point tho. Thanks for responding K.
      February 28, 2017 5:43 PM MST