Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Does The Moon Still Exist Even When You Are Not Looking At It?

Does The Moon Still Exist Even When You Are Not Looking At It?

…this was actually Albert Einstein’s question, illustrating the absurdity of quantum theory…however, years after the death of both Einstein and his friendly adversary Niels Bohr, sophisticated modern experiments consistently confirm the quantum stuff!

So really; does nature disappear when we are not interacting with it?

“Physics (or science) is not about nature, it is about nature exposed to our observation."
~ Niels Bohr, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aECzyzwfWdA

(Or have I REALLY been watching too much YouTube...)

Posted - February 28, 2017

Responses

• Yes, because others are looking at it.
      February 28, 2017 2:23 AM MST

• That is a very good point, Whistle6! ty...
      February 28, 2017 2:24 AM MST

There are certain assumptions on which all knowledge is based. First we assume that we can know things. If we can't, then we have nothing to discuss. Second, we assume that all laws apply the same way everywhere and all the time. If not so then the universe is governed by magic, not laws. That is the point where quantum theories diverge.
      February 28, 2017 3:07 AM MST

• Hi Jewels,
    Sounds like you might be with Einstein on this one...and his track record as a scientist is incomparable!
      February 28, 2017 9:51 AM MST

• In a solipsistic universe then, no, it would not exist. But, since the universe is not solipsistic, then yes, it does exist. 

At least, I don't think the universe is solipsistic but I could be wrong. It might only be there when I'm awake. You, Virginia, may not exist when I'm sleeping. 

Hmm, there's a thought. I wonder if the tax collectors are only imaginary?

February 28, 2017 2:53 PM MST

• Oh Dozy, not a lot of folks coming to this Q I worked S-O-O-O-O hard to develop, but isn't it fun ???
    The cartoon is delightful...ty for your (cough) wisdom, here...even I am sometimes unsure whether I exist when you are sleeping...
      February 28, 2017 3:41 PM MST

• It's an occupational hazard, Virginia. Some of the questions I'm most optimistic for lie crippled and broken in the aM gutter -- unloved, unwanted, unanswered.

February 28, 2017 3:50 PM MST

• Oh no!...not...unanswered, the dear virgins...
      February 28, 2017 4:00 PM MST

• *Sigh...*
      February 28, 2017 4:04 PM MST

• "Technically, it's not there even when you look at it."  It's already traveled 4,362 ft. by the time you see it's reflection. :)
      February 28, 2017 3:26 PM MST

• Oh Alf, I love it, that is DEEP! ;)
      February 28, 2017 3:38 PM MST