Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Should a State Trooper be worried about his job because he reported an illegal criminal to ICE? Are we confusing the good and the bad guys?

Should a State Trooper be worried about his job because he reported an illegal criminal to ICE? Are we confusing the good and the bad guys?

In Washington state an illegal drug dealer deported 4times notified ICE after a traffic stop. ICE came the criminal is being held for deportation again. But the Governor has ordered an investigation into the trooper's actions. 

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/state-trooper-in-hot-water-over-calling-ice/article/2615223

Posted - February 28, 2017

Responses

Yes, he should be worried. Why? Because, unfortunately, there's an internal investigation about his actions. That's always a cause for concern for the individual involves whenever that happens. It all depends on how the superiors are who are in charge of this investigation. If they are the kind who follow the rules to exact way they're written, and they do find him to have breached those written rules, then they will be obligated to take the written course of action that they're told to. 

It says in the article that the cop didn't detain him, but it also says that ICE picked him up at the scene. So the cop must have done some serious stalling to drag it out, as its highly unlikely that ICE would arrive within 5 minutes, about the time it would take to carry out a typical routine traffic stop.  Maybe that's where the breach occurred? I dunno. 

In my opinion, the cop did the right thing. But my opinion doesn't matter. 
      February 28, 2017 8:18 PM MST

He may have drug the stop out. But I have to say I have never had a five minute traffic stop. They have all been at least 25 min whether getting a warning or a ticket. 
      March 1, 2017 4:58 AM MST

• Hi my2cents,
    I was interested in your Q because I live in Washington State...and looking over the very interesting article you found, I am wondering if BOTH the officer and the suspect here are being used as pawns for a whole 'nother agenda...

Jay Inslee is a liberal governor of a state that, geographically, is largely conservative...even while the population density carries the whole state liberal because of Seattle and environs.
    Your article suggests that Governor Inslee is trying to make the immigration policies of the current Republican administration look bad, by national exposure of this case.

So I went to the Republican state senator's website, and he sounds like a relatively non-partisan champion of what he believes in, and he is trying to defend the officer.

To somewhat respond to your Q, and assuming the information I read is accurate, I feel badly the officer has to be put through all this, sounds to me like he really did a good job.

"Chavez Corona’s driver’s license was checked after his car was involved in a February 9 accident on Interstate 5. (Chavez was not at fault.) The routine check revealed a notification request for a felony drug case. So the officer did not detain the illegal, but did notify immigration." This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 1, 2017 11:57 AM MST
      February 28, 2017 8:31 PM MST

I think definitely be used in a political battle. I first seen this on the news. When I googled there was surprisingly little about it in the search. 
    To me if he was a criminal as reported, then officer was right to modify ICE. This would have been the legal requirement now under Trump and under Obama..... Obama's administration said criminals would be deported. 
      March 1, 2017 5:04 AM MST

• I saw that the Republican state senator was also making your point...that not just under Trump would the illegal be detained, but Obama, too...glad that senator is taking this situation on.
      March 1, 2017 7:33 AM MST

Violating departmental procedures may be grounds for dismissal no matter how unjust. He may then sue to regain his position or hire onto another department. Not all police departments are authorized to directly cooperate with Federal officials. You would think in the aftermath of 911 all would be. Go figure.
      February 28, 2017 8:38 PM MST

Yes not only authorized but required. 
      March 1, 2017 5:05 AM MST

• It sounds like BS against the trooper.
    However the trooper is at the request of his superiors.  That being the state and those who are leaders of State policy.   If the State policy is in conflict with Federal policy then the trooper is still responsible for upholding the State policy.   The action of the superseding Federal policy goes on the State and the person in charge who made the the problematic rule.

State Trooper is only required to hold State Law and policy. That's where their power and authority comes from.
      March 1, 2017 12:03 PM MST