Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Has the most recent presidential election shown us that there is indeed a fundamental flaw in the electoral process?

Has the most recent presidential election shown us that there is indeed a fundamental flaw in the electoral process?

Posted - March 2, 2017

Responses

It points out the need for an informed and educated electorate.

As been observed in the literature, the actions of the people who live in a democracy are not necessarily the actions that will tend to preserve that democracy.
      March 2, 2017 1:22 PM MST

• Not really,  it exposed a bigger and more significant set of flaws.
    Two party system
    Political parties in general
    Government disconnect
    Irresponsibility in all facets
    Zealous ideologies
    the list is huge.
      March 2, 2017 1:22 PM MST

The whole thing has devolved into some kind of racket made up by the mafia.
      March 2, 2017 1:25 PM MST

• Mafia (plural) describes the GOP and DNC very, very well.

It's like "Ndrangheta vs. Camorra.
      March 2, 2017 1:29 PM MST

I agree with you there Glis. Third party then?
      March 2, 2017 1:35 PM MST

• Possibly.  The DNC and GOP are just too old and established IMHO.   They are primarily concerned with the party existing and being powerful more than anything else.  The GOP and the banks use each other and the DNC and the unions use each other.   I'm not anti-bank or anti-union but the dynamic with the old parties at this point has become toxic and it causes them to lose focus on what we the people need them for and why they need us. How that each can become unhinged and when they do it's bad for everyone including themselves.
      March 2, 2017 1:44 PM MST

You can't get elected without a lot of moula.  That doesn't seem right. 
      March 2, 2017 2:12 PM MST

Although it's been that way since at least Kennedy vs. Nixon in '60.
      March 2, 2017 10:41 PM MST

• Hi Zack/GX,

I have less hope, less belief in the whole governmental structure than ever before...

I am concerned we really are in the military-industrial complex President Eisenhower warned against; and so the first national priority is to support the endless cycle of wars and military industries. 

I do tend to believe the DNC sabotaged Bernie Sanders campaign. And what if it is true, the rumours that there are political assassinations happening here in the USA?

And now, I am darkly wondering: What if Donald Trump really was the better of our two choices? 

*** To try to respond to your Q? What if the electoral process is only a symptom of a deeper fundamental flaw...

March 2, 2017 2:27 PM MST

• That fourth paragraph is a worry because it may very well be true. Trump is certainly going to be bad but Clinton could conceivably have been worse. Both parties will need to trot out more presentable candidates in future. Unless Trump does something really unexpected he couldn't hope for a second term against a strong opponent.

If the Dems want to run a female candidate they might do well to consider Wendy Davis. They'd have to get her out of the Texas state legislature, of course, but that woman has balls. 
      March 2, 2017 3:51 PM MST

• Dozy, you in Oz know of Wendy Davis and I do not know much...will do some Googling, ty, it would be SO nice if we could get a wholesome dynamic here in the good old US of.
      March 2, 2017 5:15 PM MST

• Last year, or perhaps the year before, I was on line during her extraordinary filibuster. She managed to achieve her aim even though her victory was overturned at a special recall of the state senate. It was exciting stuff. I felt like cheering.
      March 2, 2017 5:24 PM MST

• All democratic countries have a similar path to government: manipulation of the grass roots voter by glib candidates. In last year's US presidential election it seems that Trump was glibber than Clinton.

Something that needs to be examined OUT IN THE OPEN is whether there really was interference by Russia in influencing the vote in favour of a man they knew would disrupt the smooth running of the country. If that has been done we ALL need to know how it was done and how such interference can be prevented in future.
      March 2, 2017 3:57 PM MST

• Remarkable, excellent comment.
      March 2, 2017 5:16 PM MST

• Thanks, Virginia. The damage has been done. Now I think we need tolearn from it. Assuming we all survive the next four years, of course. The problems aren't confined to US domestic policy.
      March 2, 2017 5:22 PM MST

The flaw was in the candidates. A demagogue vs. an introvert who hated campaigning.
      March 2, 2017 5:22 PM MST

to me yes
    it doesn't seem to represent what the majority
    of the people vote for.
      March 2, 2017 8:16 PM MST

Actually, it did. With the Electoral College system, the process comprises 51 separate elections - one in each state plus DC. The winner, Trump in this case, is the candidate who receives a majority of votes in enough of these (usually the most) to earn at least 270 of the 538 total electoral votes. Any count of the national popular vote is irrelevant. Many folks don't like that reality when their candidate loses, but this system has elected all of our 45 presidents, great, mediocre, and corrupt.
      March 3, 2017 5:05 AM MST

I don't think it  was the Constitutional process that failed,it was the electorate who even considered a sexual predator who could hardly formulate a coherent sentence. It is true Corporatocracy had pretty much accomplished a bloodless Coup,but we were warned{Bill Moyers did a whole series on it ,Robert Reich railed against it}
    But we didn't protest,looked down on the "Occupy" movement and watched The Celebrity Apprentice.
    Many who voted for him didn't think he meant what he said and thought it was SANE to replace The Affordable Care Act (leaving millions without healthcare) for the promise of something "much,much better"......
    Really he never articulated any particulars except for THE WALL,which he bedazzled his followers with like a toreador waves his cape before a bull.......
    Now there is talk of "cracking down" on protesters from his Administration.
    There WAS a reason why the Founders put such an emphasis on education,reason,logic.
    It is a very bad situation
      March 2, 2017 9:00 PM MST

That he was elected proves what a terrible candidate Clinton was.
      March 2, 2017 10:42 PM MST

I am so far from a Hillary Clinton fan,but DT rolled over all the high-profile Republican candidates.
    Honestly the unseen candidate,"Voter Disgust" seemed to rule this election
      March 4, 2017 5:41 PM MST

No, just the opposite.  It worked to prevent exactly what it was meant to prevent. 
      March 6, 2017 9:40 AM MST