Discussion » Questions » Communication » Can someone explain to me how saying "black lives matter" is racist?

Can someone explain to me how saying "black lives matter" is racist?

Because I don't see the connection.

Posted - July 13, 2016

Responses

• Ironically, conservative thinking is that BLM divides us and that All lives Matter (which they do), but they fail to understand the concept and focus of the BLM movement is to bring attention to the fact that young black men are more likely to die at the hands of police than white people.

July 13, 2016 8:40 AM MDT

• It's weird... how is it divisive? :0|
      July 13, 2016 8:41 AM MDT

just reverse it........if there was a group called "White Lives Matter' there'd be HELL to pay..right??????

so in a way I can see why some think BLM is racist......not sure myself what they are standing for.

in the long run, all this nonsense could have been avoided if some, not all, but some of the guys involved in these deaths had JUST LISTENED TO THE COPS AND FOLLOWED INSTRUCTIONS.,,

see how easy that was? 

July 13, 2016 8:48 AM MDT

• It differentiates between the two races in their opinion.

July 13, 2016 8:55 AM MDT

Hello gc:

They're hated, NOT because of their name.. But, because of WHO they are. Oh, it's NOT their color.  That's just an easy excuse.  There's simply a segment of society who DON'T believe in protesting.  After all, THEY don't protest.  They like the way things are.  Look..  The Occupiers were mostly white so they couldn't use the racist card.  Instead, they pulled out the old hippie card.   They called the Occupiers filthy homeless people.. They just don't LIKE protest.  They NEVER have..

I can't IMAGINE how they fit the protest that FOUNDED America into their garbled thinking... 

excon

July 13, 2016 8:56 AM MDT

I don't think it's racist. I also don't think it's racist to say "white lives matter".

Then again, I've never been much for double standards.

July 13, 2016 8:59 AM MDT

July 13, 2016 9:46 AM MDT

I'm shocked.

July 13, 2016 11:33 AM MDT

It's not, anymore than homeless advocacy groups are anti-homeowner, or veterans advocacy groups are anti-citizen, or conservative Christian advocacy groups are anti-atheist, or etc.

African-Americans have a problem in the United States. Unarmed members of their community are 2.5 times as likely to be killed (on a population-adjusted basis) by police than members of other ethnic groups. That is but one of many forms of structural racism which disproportionately affects the African-American community. Black Lives Matter is trying to address those problems.

The fact that BLM is focusing on those problems while not addressing others does not make the organization "racist" any more than a veterans' advocacy organization not addressing LGBT issues makes it homophobic.

Those who chant "all lives matter" and making the claim that BLM is racist are simply deflecting because they don't want to address BLM's legitmate concerns.

July 13, 2016 11:56 AM MDT

It's very simple. If you have no racial issue's and are non-racist, skin color is not in your vocabulary, when you talk about and separate people by skin color it's considered racist, so by saying black lives matter, your separating races. It's definitely racist!

July 14, 2016 3:16 AM MDT

OS, homeless groups, etc. are a whole different animal, there's no separation in skin color.

July 14, 2016 3:18 AM MDT

• If there was a "white lives matter" movement. What would be the reason for it?

July 14, 2016 7:40 AM MDT

•   July 14, 2016 7:41 AM MDT

•   July 14, 2016 7:41 AM MDT

• The thing is "all lives matter" was created in against the "black lives matter" movement. Why is that

July 14, 2016 7:43 AM MDT

• Bye Felicia.

July 14, 2016 7:43 AM MDT

•  

July 14, 2016 7:44 AM MDT

• Where did you get acknowledgement of skin color equals racism? 

July 14, 2016 7:46 AM MDT