Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » How do hallucenogenics affect the brain? Is it temporary or permament? Of what value is the experience?

How do hallucenogenics affect the brain? Is it temporary or permament? Of what value is the experience?

Posted - March 5, 2017

Responses

Hello Rosie:

What makes us liberal is the ability to walk in another persons shoes..  Psychedelics SPEED up the process..

excon
      March 5, 2017 6:53 AM MST

They always scared me excon. Other drugs too. I'm basically a chicken. Let's face it. Psychedelic drugs take you to places you could never go sober. But what do they do to the brain? What tracks do they leave? Is your brain permanently changed? If so for the better or the worser? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday m'dear! :)
      March 5, 2017 7:01 AM MST

• I never heard the liberal thing put that way. I think that's pretty good.
      March 5, 2017 7:19 AM MST

So, you see Trump's point of view and that of all Conservatives. You should be very open minded then ;)
      March 5, 2017 9:07 AM MST

Hello again, O:

Oh, I DO understand Trump.  And, that's exactly WHY I'm a liberal.. 

Look..  I got a minute..  I'll be happy to tell you HOW I became AWARE of "conservatives"..  In 1962 when I was a know nothing 17 year old sailor, my ship was undergoing repairs at the Charleston Navy Yard, and I went down to Florida every weekend..  One weekend, a black sailor came along for the ride..  When we stopped for lunch, the black sailor waited in the car because they wouldn't serve him in the restaurant.. 

I was able to put myself in HIS shoes, because I saw the expression on his face when he asked us to bring him something to eat... 

Around that same time, there were some black people who wanted to eat lunch at Woolworths in Charleston, just like you and I did..  They got put in jail.. I was able to myself in THEIR shoes too.. 

The people who were DOING that to black people were conservatives..  I UNDERSTOOD their thinking, and was reviled by it.  Nothing is new today..

excon This post was edited by excon at March 5, 2017 2:04 PM MST
      March 5, 2017 9:27 AM MST

You can put yourself in the shoes of others and still disagree with and oppose them. This I understand. I have the ability. This post was edited by O-uknow at March 5, 2017 10:00 AM MST
      March 5, 2017 9:33 AM MST

Hello again, O:

I COULD, and I WOULD..  Here's an example.. Trump said his health care plan will take care of everybody..  I SUPPORT that 100%.

excon
      March 5, 2017 9:50 AM MST

• Did you wait in the car with your black friend? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 5, 2017 10:04 AM MST
      March 5, 2017 10:03 AM MST

Hello L:

No..  I dunno what that would have accomplished..  He didn't need protecting.  Besides, I placed his to go order..  But, I DID go to jail in Charleston when they arrested the Woolworth guys.. 

Lemme tell you another story about my introduction to "conservatives"..  I wasn't in the deep south for ONE day, when I ran smack dab into it..  I was on a bus headed to the base..  It had a black line that separated the front from the back.  The FRONT of the bus was full.  A little black girl got on, paid her fare and tried to wend her way between the crowd of white people..  She wasn't successful.  When the bus driver saw here there, he reached out and SMACKED her HARD on the head, and said, "Nigger, get in the back where you belong".. 

So, when I had a liberty in Charleston and ran across the hoop de do at Woolworths, I joined in.  Yeah.  It was boiling over in ME.   

excon
      March 5, 2017 10:17 AM MST

• I understand and I think that's real good and courageous. I do object to your characterisation of conservatives as all racists. There are plenty of us liberals that hold the same inclinations.
      March 5, 2017 12:32 PM MST

Hahahaha.

March 5, 2017 10:00 AM MST

• From what I been exposed to. 
    They aren't to just get messed up on willy-nilly.   They can break you mentally.
    The benefit?  It's not a high.  You don't really take LSD to feel good or relax.   It's an experience. Like an adventure for your mind.   I've tried a lot of things in my wild youth but psychedelics I don't have any regrets about like other substances. Basically they shatter your ego for a brief time and can let you delve into the meta relm.   Your mind and imagination can float free unhampered by ego, social fears, and preconceptions.

It's hard to put a definitive description on such a broad classification.   Phenethlamines( which include mescaline and amphetamines{some psychedelic and some jsut crank}) are different than the indole group ones ( LSD, mushrooms, DMT) which are nothing like dissociatives( ketamine).  Then you got deleriants like atropine, really, really dangerous stuff.
    Long term damage really depends on what the particular chemical was, it's type, and how dirty it is.  A little real LSD, mushrooms, or mescaline you're likely to be okay.Within reason.   Dissociatives and psychedlic amphetamines I'd highly advise against.  Ketamine at high doses is being researched and having some success at treating depression but it's not something to play with on your own. 

Keep in mind who is answering this and how much weight to put on it.
      March 5, 2017 7:28 AM MST

Excellent answer.  It really is a matter of a number of variants...substance, preparation, individual psyche, and environment. Peyote, correctly prepared, is a sacrament and used regularly by NA Church members with no deleterious effects. The same with Ayahuaska.

Mankind has been using hallucinogenics for millennia to expand their consciousness...but then as now, it is/was NOT for everyone.

This post was edited by Sugar Skull at March 5, 2017 6:13 PM MST
      March 5, 2017 2:14 PM MST

• Exactly.   It can make you or break you.   Set and setting is important.
      March 5, 2017 5:27 PM MST

Researchers are finding out it may be permanent when done before the age of 26. Your brain's neuro connections may be something you don't want to mess around with making what's bad, worse. Another thing is a person suffering from any mental instability whatsoever should not take a hallucinogen. It could make them psychotic. If you are already tormented by demons imagine going to Hell. This post was edited by O-uknow at March 5, 2017 9:58 AM MST
      March 5, 2017 9:09 AM MST

I always had a huge fear of them.  I actually knew a girl that took them and ended up in a mental hospital.  She later was diagnosed with schizophrenia.  The LSD didn't cause it, but it sure didn't mesh with her brain right.

The point is, these are very powerful drugs.  Some people love the experience, others find it very frightening.

I have seen enough people my age that used to do them and they are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  I don't have any doubt that any drug like that will do its' damage.
      March 5, 2017 9:57 AM MST

I don't do drugs. I know some who have and I can see over the years that they are not as smart as they once were.
    We have some mental illness in the family...some I know was brought on by drugs and some I know was not. I don't want to tempt it. 
      March 5, 2017 11:07 AM MST

Drugs certainly will exasperate any mental illness that is there.  I have seen it in my own family with disastrous results. 
      March 5, 2017 12:55 PM MST

it probably messes up their brains, i dont think theres any value in it
      March 9, 2017 3:30 PM MST