Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If you could add something to our constitution, what would it be?

If you could add something to our constitution, what would it be?

Posted - March 5, 2017

Responses

Without a doubt, the right to healthcare.

March 5, 2017 9:49 AM MST

A method for the American people themselves to petition for, and have awarded, a public/popular recall vote for the President and his cabinet. We also need to alter the electoral college to better reflect popular vote and defeat gerrymandering.
      March 5, 2017 9:54 AM MST

• It's more what I would take away: the electoral college system, which was created for an older time when campaigns couldn't be seen by most of the country--the "vote by state" system made it so that politicians wouldn't limit themselves to the most populated areas. But now politicians limit themselves to "swing states", so what's the difference? The fact that if you're in California your vote is worth less than someone in Ohio is unacceptable. 
      March 5, 2017 10:07 AM MST

• Term limits for members of Congress and the Supreme Court. 
      March 5, 2017 11:34 AM MST

Yeah, those are big ones, Z.

I'm on the fence with SCOTUS.  The political blocking of an appointment makes term limits on the seats kinda iffy for my comfort zone.

March 5, 2017 11:45 AM MST

• If the Justices' terms were not lifetime, their political views would be less entrenched over time. Also, their approval process would be less of a One-off novelty. 
    As for Congress, I don't have to elaborate how beneficial new blood would be to that body. 
      March 5, 2017 12:59 PM MST

Congress goes without saying.  Oh man.... I think more moderate thinking might result from that by not letting extremist candidates to become too entrenched.
      March 5, 2017 2:23 PM MST

Hello The:

The right to vote.

excon
      March 5, 2017 3:28 PM MST