Discussion » Questions » Language » Do We Need To Bring Back The Obsolete Words?

Do We Need To Bring Back The Obsolete Words?

The Second Edition of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary contains full entries for ONLY 171,476 words in current use…is that really enough for our profound conversations here on aMug?

BRANNIGAN – a drinking bout, spree, or binge…

HODDYPEAK – a fool, simpleton, or blockhead (NEVER needed on aMug, of course!)

PERISSOLOGY – use of more words than necessary (no one does that here, naturally…‘specially not me)

KENCH – to laugh loudly (Oh, we can expand the nuance of LOL and LMAO)

JOLLUX – in the 1700’s, this word meant a fat person

BRABBLE – to quarrel about trifles; esp. to quarrel noisily, brawl, squabble

FRECK – to move swiftly or nimbly; as “I hate it when I am frecking through the airport and the lines are so slow.” (Might be fun to see if it is possible to brabble and freck at the same time...)

So your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to use one of these obsolete words (or another of your own choice) in a sentence; either right here and now, or in your own post!

https://matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-obsolete-english-words-that-should-make-a-comeback/

Posted - March 6, 2017

Responses

They were left out due to disuse.  Our vocabulary has been shrinking over the decades.  The average American has approx. half the vocabulary their grandparents had.

However, they have (in the guise of slang) invented a whole new language to replace it.  Text talk/emoji's.  Times change, and language does with them.

March 6, 2017 12:16 PM MST

• Hi Sugar Skull,
    Valid points, and interesting too, thank you!
    While researching this Q, I read that English is a "trading" language, highly interactive with others, rather than an 'insular' language... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 6, 2017 3:58 PM MST
      March 6, 2017 12:31 PM MST

How about "Science speak"? An abundance of crystalline Dihydrogen monoxide is gravitating towards the planet's surface at a most heinous rate. (It's snowing really hard.)

I find antiquated words to be quite a bit of fun. Mayhap I will look some up and make you a nice sentence.
      March 6, 2017 12:55 PM MST

• Oh Element 99 that is wonderful!
    Science speak, sigh, oh the wonder of it all...pitter patter o be still my heart... ;)

Yes, do please come back with more of the lovely stuff...!!!
      March 6, 2017 1:31 PM MST

• It ain't science speak but 99 reminded me of this version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star: 

Scintillate, scintillate, globule lucific
    Fain would I fathom thy nature specific
    Loftily perched in the ether capacious
    Strongly resembling a gem carbonaceous.

March 6, 2017 1:48 PM MST

• Oh that is just glorious...TWO of you (swooning...)
    This is getting added to my special ASK file, do you know the author, Dozy?
      March 6, 2017 1:51 PM MST

• It may be by John Raymond Carson but that's not clear. 
      March 6, 2017 2:03 PM MST

• Well, at least for the time being I will put him in my file too, as a 'maybe.'
      March 6, 2017 2:08 PM MST

• I went to high school with Donnie Brannigan. He was a jollux hoddypeak and he always got a kench out of us when he tried to freck his way out of a paper bag.
      March 6, 2017 1:15 PM MST

• omg, the whole English language is already vastly showing improvement, revivification and life itself pumping, cascadng forth just in this one sentence!
      March 6, 2017 1:28 PM MST

• I be prity smrt.
      March 6, 2017 1:34 PM MST

• YOU are a epitome, too!
      March 6, 2017 1:41 PM MST

• Why yes, yes I am. My epitomeness only compares to my humbleness.
      March 6, 2017 1:42 PM MST

• ...are you in contact with Jaimie, especially since she left that enigmatic goodbye?
    I have not checked this morning, but as of yesterday, no activity for her since then...
      March 6, 2017 1:50 PM MST

• I haven't heard from Jaimie nor have I seen her posting on the Mug. I don't have her email address or I'd shoot her an email.
      March 6, 2017 1:51 PM MST

• I have her e-mail and spoke with her this morning. She'll be back when she takes care of some things. She'll be back!
      March 6, 2017 2:53 PM MST

• 29 stars for you Rooster!
      March 6, 2017 3:50 PM MST

• Cool.
      March 6, 2017 4:01 PM MST

• After wading through your lengthy scriptitation (that's a tautology in case you missed it) I tried to find an illecebrous way to respond but, alas! I have been left widdendreaming.

Translation: 
    After wading through your lengthy continual writing I tried to find an attractive way to respond but, alas! I have been left feeling rather discombobulated.

I'm holding you responsible for the trauma suffered by my spell checker which is now sobbing violently.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 6, 2017 2:53 PM MST
      March 6, 2017 1:59 PM MST

• Oh! Well you have included the splendiferous widdendream, one of the bestersest words of all time!
      March 6, 2017 2:24 PM MST

Brabble Brabble Brabble...... 
    Yeah, I like the sound and the feel of that. I can mutter that under my breath as I fly along. 
      March 6, 2017 2:03 PM MST

• Oh that is such a perfect word for dragonflies!

March 6, 2017 2:22 PM MST

LOL!!!!  It is!!!! 
    Beautiful picture, Virginia. 
      March 6, 2017 2:50 PM MST

• Winston Smith at work again with the new dictionary
      March 6, 2017 2:55 PM MST