Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Language » Do We Need To Bring Back The Obsolete Words?

Do We Need To Bring Back The Obsolete Words?

The Second Edition of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary contains full entries for ONLY 171,476 words in current use…is that really enough for our profound conversations here on aMug?

BRANNIGAN – a drinking bout, spree, or binge…

HODDYPEAK – a fool, simpleton, or blockhead (NEVER needed on aMug, of course!)

PERISSOLOGY – use of more words than necessary (no one does that here, naturally…‘specially not me)

KENCH – to laugh loudly (Oh, we can expand the nuance of LOL and LMAO)

JOLLUX – in the 1700’s, this word meant a fat person

BRABBLE – to quarrel about trifles; esp. to quarrel noisily, brawl, squabble

FRECK – to move swiftly or nimbly; as “I hate it when I am frecking through the airport and the lines are so slow.” (Might be fun to see if it is possible to brabble and freck at the same time...)

So your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to use one of these obsolete words (or another of your own choice) in a sentence; either right here and now, or in your own post!

https://matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-obsolete-english-words-that-should-make-a-comeback/

Posted - March 6, 2017

Responses

• Oh yes, Winston...when I read that the second time, about 50 years later Ozgirl, it was actually more compelling than the first reading. Not only was I older and more aware, but lots more history had flowed (flown?) under the bridge... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 7, 2017 6:10 AM MST
      March 6, 2017 3:54 PM MST

• I think that's the answer.. more history to compare ... Some authors see further than we mere mortals :)
      March 7, 2017 5:13 AM MST

• Haha! I don't know why this occurred to me - I reckon my brain needs a good slapping - but I'm mightily tempted to read 1984 in an Australian accent, or a bit if it. I just don't think you can be menaced by an Australian (???)
      March 6, 2017 11:54 PM MST

• You've obviously never come up against an angry koala bear :)
      March 7, 2017 5:11 AM MST

• This is true. One p*ssed on my Dad once. I don't think either of them were very pleased.
      March 7, 2017 5:21 AM MST

We need to bring to this website the obscene words in all their glory.
      March 6, 2017 2:58 PM MST

I recommend Robert Burns and Chaucer, not to mention good oldfashioned AngloSaxon. 
      March 6, 2017 3:56 PM MST

• Zack! Malizz has a wonderful idea...those old guys could get "floral" on you like nobody's business, and people now might not even recognize it... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 6, 2017 4:08 PM MST
      March 6, 2017 4:02 PM MST

I'm sure you'll fill my potty mouth with something in the near future. This post was edited by Zack at March 6, 2017 4:31 PM MST
      March 6, 2017 4:30 PM MST

• Gosh, lots of answers on this.. so clearly a topic people feel passionate about..  for me, I lament any loss of words.. we have such a truly rich language,  it's a shame to see it dwindle in richness..

Someone else said that it changes and gets replaces with slang and new words. TO some extend that's true but I strongly suspect that the new words and the slang don't replace or anywhere match the sheer numbers of words we are using less and less... The slang tends to consist of a relative few, rather lazy and unimaginative words... so while I'd be happy to accept new words, it's sad and regrettable to see less and less use of many of our more colourful and rich diversity of words.. 

Verily I say this to you :)
      March 6, 2017 3:54 PM MST

• Hi DTD, what fine observations...verily!

I also wish we could boost English along ... as I was researching this Q, I came upon a post from someone who seemed to be something of a polyglot, she was saying that English is her language of choice because of its immense diversity, adaptability. 
    I would love to see that grow, and not diminish!
      March 6, 2017 4:00 PM MST

Imho, a lot of the old words were far more precise. 
      March 6, 2017 3:55 PM MST

• Oh that is a wonderful observation, Malizz...I love their precision...
      March 6, 2017 3:57 PM MST