Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Given the current situation in the Sudan, do you agree with the 4 month freeze on refugees?

Given the current situation in the Sudan, do you agree with the 4 month freeze on refugees?

Over 100 people have died of starvation in just 2 days, with millions staring starvation in the eye.  In a land of plenty.....can we still claim the high road and ignore this level of need?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/20/africa/south-sudan-famine/

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/02/south-sudan-famine-eating-water-lilies-survive-170228050621672.html

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2017/02/28/tens-of-thousands-flee-south-sudan-famine.html

Posted - March 6, 2017

Responses

• There are people hungry in America. Thousands of them.
    Wouldnt all be better served if food aid were sent there instead of adding to the rolls of hardship here? 
    Was nothing learned from the migrant debacles in Germany, France and Italy? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 6, 2017 6:04 PM MST
      March 6, 2017 4:26 PM MST

Hmm. What specifically around Sudanese refugees in France, Germany and Sweden do you have in mind?
      March 6, 2017 4:32 PM MST

• Not Sweden, Italy, my bad. Hordes of foriegn refugees pouring into well-intentioned countries who found out the hard way they couldn't cope with the demand. 
    There is charity, then there is giving away the farm. 
      March 6, 2017 4:44 PM MST

Sudanese refugees? Do you know what the specific issues for each country are? They aren't the same you know? 
      March 6, 2017 11:01 PM MST

• The Sudanese would be one group of many we could describe. There are any number of reasons for people fleeing their homelands, inevitably they bring the same problems with them: Food, housing, need of assistance, culture and language barriers. There are costs, real economic issues, not to mention social issues that need resolving to accommodate the entirety of the need. Particularly long term.

Just saying "Oh come aboard, fellow human, we'll look after you", is a bit short sighted and naive, when one considers the scale of the situation.  Who gets chosen for aid and who doesn't, and how much aid? Where is a line drawn? 

Again, there is charity, and then there is giving away the farm. We the outside world didnt create this, but we should take really rational measure of if and how we address it.

I think the examples of the Syrians flocking into Europe should stand ss a teachable event when moving forward.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 7, 2017 4:59 AM MST
      March 7, 2017 4:53 AM MST

Still haven't seen what your reference made to France, Germany and Sweden/Italy is about. I was asking about this as I think in debates like these it's way to easy making some reference by name dropping a few countries as if it's commonly known what the issue is about. The OP addressed their question based on a catastrophe in Sudan, which is why I am particularly interested to find out what is up and down with Sudanese in those countries mentioned before. I am no way telling you it's an easy task, nor that there is an easy solution. However, I am not aware what the particular debacles in France, Germany and Sweden/Italy are about?

The Syrians will be another topic, and reasons fleeing another one again. You might say, both USA, Russia and Europe have their fair share in what's going on down there. But lets stick to the question asked in respect towards the OP, not to have it all mingled in one big pot.
      March 7, 2017 6:22 AM MST

• My reference is to the social and economic impact that an influx of foriegn mouths to feed has on a country, of late, that would be nations of Central Europe. Maybe you missed the news on this. I've been to Greece and Italy in the last two years to see first hand. They lack the resources or general popular support to carry these refugees. I cant imagine you are unaware if the mess Ms Merkel is in for the policies she advocated in allowing so many Muslim refugees into an unprepared Germany. 
    I think these situations should lend creedence to a more stringent approach to how/if we deal with masses of refugees, particularly those from lands who dont share our western culture. 
    If we dont learn, we will repeat those mistakes. 
      March 7, 2017 6:37 AM MST

You pinpointed three/four countries in Europe and mentioned debacles. I think you mix a lot together in your reply here. And no, I live in Europe and am fully aware of how various countries have dealt with refugees, and also some of their obstacles. I won't start name dropping countries in such ways though, as each country you mention have each their obstacles, but none of them are fully alike. Same goes for Greece. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 7, 2017 11:09 AM MST
      March 7, 2017 6:44 AM MST

• Well, Ive laid out my view, and am under no obligation to convince you of their merits. Make of them what you will, and I hope you personally get to render aid to another influx of foreigners with your tax dollars/francs/pounds/lira, whatever. I wont support bleeding heart causes that really solve very little and create more problems for the larger majority. Be well.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 7, 2017 6:58 AM MST
      March 7, 2017 6:52 AM MST

Nah, I'd say you used a few countries in efforts to make your point look stronger than it is. You still haven't really laid out in which ways what is going on in any of these countries can be projected directly over to the realities you face in the US (I assume it's your country). 
      March 7, 2017 6:57 AM MST

• Your opinion. Whatever.
    Since you've made no case at all for your position, perhaps you might be more grateful I took the time to articulate mine. Sayonara. 
      March 7, 2017 7:22 AM MST

I was curious about the why you specifically mentioned these three countries, whereas Sweden then was switched into Italy. You still haven't articulated your case really on how these three specific countries will make a valid argument. Sorry if this annoys you. But yea, whatever and sure... bye.
      March 7, 2017 7:57 AM MST

I've never seen famine here.  We have hungry people...but no starvation I am aware of. 

Sudan is a war torn country who has been beset with civil war, and the warlords steal the food long before it gets to those in need.  We can send food over, but why would we wish to feed the evil causing a great deal of the suffering.  This is not their first famine, and we've learned that sending them the food only accomplishes in strengthening the higher-ups and not the have nots.

Sweden?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/02/24/the-truth-about-refugees-in-sweden/?utm_term=.d8681482fd39

France?
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/10/france-begins-dismantling-calais-jungle-refugee-camp-161025170024157.html

Germany?
    https://qz.com/901076/what-effect-did-the-record-influx-of-refugees-have-on-jobs-and-crime-in-germany-not-much/

March 6, 2017 4:38 PM MST

• That you know of? Enough said.

So you propose bringing masses of starving Sudanese here? Who after them? There are millions starving in North Korea, why not ship them here too? Who do we exclude? 
    Sorry, I can't get behind that bad idea. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 6, 2017 6:04 PM MST
      March 6, 2017 4:49 PM MST

Yes, that I know of.  I've managed the local food pantry for 20 years.  I have worked with the homeless population in my state.  My career field was human services.  My knowledge is relatively extensive and accurate.

We have hunger...but not starvation or famine.

Enough said.

March 6, 2017 5:03 PM MST

• Well, I guess that makes you a saint.
    Is your local pantry so short on customers or long on food you could feed thousands of hungry African refugees? Or provide them homes, training and medical care?

Didn't think so.

I said my peace. Take it for what you will. 
      March 6, 2017 5:29 PM MST

Not claiming sainthood, just qualifying the base of my knowledge.  Nor did I suggest moving the entire population here.  But isn't there middle ground here?
      March 6, 2017 5:45 PM MST

• Wouldn't working matters on the ground there to facilitate self-sufficiency in the long term be a better solution? Obviously famines are cyclical in N Africa, refugeeing the victims out doesn't solve this problem. In the meantime, getting food to them now should be the immediate concern, though I think it unrealistic to expect to supply these masses indefinitely. 
      March 7, 2017 4:40 AM MST

Working matters on the ground sounds a wee it too close, for me, to 'boots on the ground'.  I think one might need the other.

We can't feed them forever.  But, if as you say, Africa suffers cyclical famines, can't we aid in getting them towards the non-famine point of the cycle? We destroy food to enable foodstuffs to maintain pricing...why not send it there rather than destroy it?
      March 7, 2017 7:09 AM MST

• Thats a good point, and there are logistical considerations. Lots to consider, cant rush in blind. 
      March 7, 2017 7:28 AM MST

• I'm torn on questions such as these ... Does bringing a refugee to a foreign country where everything is so Radically different  really stop the problem or is it just a short term fix till next time?... Certainly send help and as much as I'd needed... But eventually it happens again and the back where you started I think improving their lot through education in their own country is a better response for the long term .... Importing a lot of people that have no cultural connect to where they are moving to   I don't believe helps them in their immediate future, more so than providing help where they are ... Their children will benefit in the future but there's will be a huge disconnect in the present ... If this sounds harsh im sorry
      March 6, 2017 4:33 PM MST

What is happening in the Sudan is a result of years of civil war with violent warlords stealing anything they desire.  And global warming has made even subsistence living impossible without help.  Sending help...help never reaches those who need.  Education is a grand idea to help them in the future, but those kids have to have enough to eat and to live.

We have a number of Sudanese refugees here in NH. They've made excellent citizens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Boys_of_Sudan

March 6, 2017 4:45 PM MST

• Everything you say is true ... And I don't have any grand answers ... Maybe your approach is the correct one ... I know here we have a busy inch of Sudanese refugees also and they also have assimilated well apparently ... I wonder about the numbers though that need to be moved...
      March 6, 2017 4:48 PM MST

I know we can't take them all.  There are millions that need support or will die, and soon. But, can we not make SOME effort as opposed to slamming the door shut and basically saying too bad, so sad?
      March 6, 2017 5:05 PM MST