Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Old Wives Tales?

Old Wives Tales?

What are some of your favorites? Have you found any to be true?

Posted - March 10, 2017

Responses

• Heard so many over the years but have forgotten most of them. I got a kick out of the 12 on this site and a couple do make sense.

12 old wives' tales that are actually true - Kidspot

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 10, 2017 7:32 AM MST
      March 10, 2017 6:37 AM MST

If you cross your eyes, they'll stay that way. Fact: Contrary to the old saying, eyes will not stay that way if you cross them.       kidshealth.org/en/parents/vision-facts-myths.html This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at March 10, 2017 7:33 AM MST
      March 10, 2017 6:43 AM MST

• According to an old-wives tale I should have been blind and had hands like Bigfoot by time I reached drinking age.

Butter to heal burns was always a good one.   Possibly the worst thing one can do for a burn.
      March 10, 2017 6:50 AM MST

If she had a tail in her younger years when we first got married, I would have already known about it when she grew older, so it probably wouldn't bother me. Maybe the tail was the selling point.

However, if she never had a tail before and suddenly grew one, that might cause problems. 

Hey, wait, I think I read that wrong . . . 

~
      March 10, 2017 8:11 AM MST

If a fir tree gets a lot of cones in the fall it means it will be a long cold winter. I'v found that to be true many times. Cheers!
      March 10, 2017 8:30 AM MST

If you get a chill or get cold and wet you will catch a cold or the flu.
      March 10, 2017 8:55 AM MST