Active Now

Randy D
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Some folks prefer light conversation. Chatting, chattering, surfacey. Others like to engage in substantive conversations . Your preference?

Some folks prefer light conversation. Chatting, chattering, surfacey. Others like to engage in substantive conversations . Your preference?

Posted - March 10, 2017

Responses

IRL it has to be both.  I love having fun and light hearted conversations but hard issues have to be discussed.
      March 10, 2017 10:55 AM MST

I agree with thee Livvie. Variety is very good. You can't always be somber and serious It's too taxing. Sometimes I run away to TCM (Turner Classmic Movies). No commercials. I escape to other lives and times and get refreshed. Small talk can be like that too! Refreshing! It doesn't take a lot out of you and it leaves you cheerier than you were before. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      March 11, 2017 5:38 AM MST

• I don't like small talk. But that could be because im so bad at it. I do admire those that can keep a conversation going about nothing for a long time.
      March 10, 2017 10:57 AM MST

Ditto Lago! I'm not very good at it although I am interested in the mundane if it affects me or Answermug members. For example drought or very hot weather or natural disasters. I've asked "how's the weather in your neck of the woods"? I wasn't making small talk. I wanted to how if they were surviving n'oreasters or hurricanes or tornadoes. They can be and often are disastrous. I ask folks who might live in a certain devastated area if they are OK because I hope they are! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      March 11, 2017 5:36 AM MST
  • AG

I've found lately that it depends who I am talking to. I don't have as much time as I used to now that I work full time. This post was edited by AG at March 11, 2017 5:32 AM MST
      March 10, 2017 1:20 PM MST

I think both kinds are fine. Variety is the spice of life! Of course  you learn more from the thoughtful, useful, helpful, informative answers. At least I do. And those usually take more time. Thank you for your reply AG! :)
      March 11, 2017 5:33 AM MST

• If I'm in a conversation with a stranger, small talk is just fine. If it's a friend or family member, then an in-depth conversation is likely to be talking place. I don't drive so i take the bus to work every day, I'm around a lot of people on a daily basis. Strangers are always starting conversations with me, I'll talk with them even if they are obviously homeless, or mentally challenged. I've had a few interesting conversations with some of the most unlikely participants.  The ones who are homeless or mentally challenged, have some of the most interesting stories to tell. I always let them talk and some will tell me their life story. 
      March 11, 2017 6:03 AM MST