Active Now

Malizz
Thebigd
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Business » What jobs or businesses that you grew up with no longer exist? Which ones from today you don't see making it in the future?

What jobs or businesses that you grew up with no longer exist? Which ones from today you don't see making it in the future?

Posted - March 11, 2017

Responses

• The Milkman, dropping off full bottles and taking the empties.  

October 10, 2018 9:14 PM MDT

• Bakeries .. seems like the only "bakeries" there are anymore are in grocery stores.  They're just not the same!  
    My Dad was a Printer back in the day.  He used to manually set type for a newspaper.  Now all of that is computerized.  
    My Mom used to be a Comptometer Operator in the olden days.  It was the precursor of a calculator, I believe.  She used to do Accounting for businesses.
      January 16, 2019 3:38 PM MST

Well, how about that. My mom was a comptometer operator also!

A profession that I remember from my childhood was the Rag Man. There was a man with a horse and wagon who rode up and down the streets calling "rags... rags... rags..." People would save their old, worn cloth items and turn them over to the Rag Man when he came by. He made his money selling these to whatever industry manufactured things from recycled cloth. Was it polyester that killed that industry?

In the future, I see the disappearance of banks, the brick and mortar kind that have employees inside that you can talk to. I like going to places of commerce that have real people that you can interact with.
      May 27, 2022 10:21 PM MDT