Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How successful would you be as a NEWBIE employee if there were no one there to train you, educate you, inform you, guide you? Why?

How successful would you be as a NEWBIE employee if there were no one there to train you, educate you, inform you, guide you? Why?

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

• CHances are the newbie would be rubbish, he'd make lots of mistakes, many of which could ruin the *company* and/or be dangerous..

A smart newbie would try to seek out those who can give him good advice...he would research, talk to as many people as possible to try to get good info and to understand the lie of the land... 

Hmm but perhaps the newbie in this case is an idiot, stupid enough to think he knows it all.. doesn't ask questions, charges in without thinking.. 
      March 12, 2017 9:17 AM MDT

The newly installed US government is exactly that thanks to Trump! Having fired all the knowledgeable folks in the State Department the blind now lead the blind. Just what we need! Unbelievable chutzpah/hubris! Thank you for your reply DdbTD! :)
      March 13, 2017 7:05 AM MDT

you might want to check the numbers on how many "knowledgeable folks" obama ousted when he took office...they all do exactly the same thing thats being done now.
      March 13, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

Staggered over time so that the replacements can take over maggie as you get rid of the old guard. No sane administration  fires everyone all at once having no one there ready to take over. The State Department is gutted. Justice is gutted. Where are their replacements?  Non-existent.They have yet to be selected/ vetted. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday.
      March 14, 2017 4:37 AM MDT

Staggered over time so that the replacements can take over maggie as you get rid of the old guard. No sane administration  fires everyone all at once having no one there ready to take over. The State Department is gutted. Justice is gutted. Where are their replacements?  Non-existent.They have yet to be selected/ vetted. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday.
      March 14, 2017 4:37 AM MDT

• Trump is the outsider so the career politicians are outraged.  I agree with you they all clean house when they first get their foot in the door.
      March 16, 2017 9:58 PM MDT

hes just doing what he said he  was going to do...it is surprising that hes actually trying to keep his word on what he said top get voted in. and yes...nothing the man does will be right for all clinton supporters..just doesnt matter what she did...as long as she's a woman  they wanted her to be president.

This post was edited by maggie at March 17, 2017 4:41 PM MDT
      March 17, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

i think it would depend on the job..if the position requires just common sense or people skills then training shouldnt be needed...but as far as  running a machine or being familiar with  product for example then it obviously would be needed.

March 12, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

I totally disagree with thee. Each company has a history of what works/what doesn't work. A Newbie would have no way of knowing that. There is a LEARNING  CURVE in every job part of which is being brought up to speed about what went on before. Without that you will make mistakes  Some of them could be very costly. Familiarity greases the path to success. Knowing/knowledge/information is essential to  moving forward with confidence. In my opinion maggie. Thank you for yours and Happy Wednesday! :)
      March 13, 2017 7:08 AM MDT

then well agree to disagree..common sense gets alot more done than  training sometimes...i had employees that no matter how much  you showed them, told them etc...they just didnt grasp it..either too lazy or just didnt get it. I was tossed in and alot of stuff i figured out on my own...things that needed help i picked up the phone and asked and was walked thru it..(cash register stuff)
    Personally i function better without someone breathing down my neck...and telling me the one way to do  it. I always told people i hired what needed to be done...heres how its done...but as long as it got done and got done right feel free to improvise.what works best for me may not work best for you....sometimes you just gotta think for yourself.
      March 17, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

To each his/her own maggie. Different strokes. Of course you have to think for yourself. But if you are a NEWBIE and have no history with a company you can be a brilliant genius and still cost the company a lot of money because you didn't know what you needed to know. Brilliance/intellect only goes so far.  KNOWLEDGE of what is and was and can be cannot be invented/faked or short-circuited or arrived at by taking shortcuts. Everything takes time. There is  ALWAYS a learning curve. You either learn it or you wing it. Sometimes you're lucky and you guess right. Sometimes you guess wrong. You can throw the baby out with the bath water if you're not careful. And you will do that if you don't know where the baby starts and the bathwater ends. I'm just sayin'. I've experienced hot shot newbies who were very smart but ignorant. They had a very hard time because they thought they knew everything and were ambitious and wanted to prove how much better they were than their predecessors. They believed making drastic changes was the way to get noticed.  They got noticed alright.  There are REASONS for things being as they are. Can there always be improvements? Of course. But in order to know what will work/is doable and what won't you can't be a blank sheet. You have to have some guidance/direction and knowledge of the company history. A couple of such newbies did not last long. They thought they knew a lot more than the old timers. They didn't. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 18, 2017 10:39 AM MDT
      March 18, 2017 4:25 AM MDT

I don't consider myself a brilliant genius...but I was able to save them some money...actually make a profit and cut shrink....without training...which wound up them sending me for because I got promoted...by that time I pretty much knew already because I had to most of it out for myself with the help of books and phone calls and common sense. It wasn't hard...and I must have been good at it...they wouldn't have been giving me bonuses if I wasn't.
      March 18, 2017 10:42 AM MDT

Yes, I have done that. I began my first day at a sugar mill. There was no one there to train me! I stood around with a shovel in my hand to lean on. The next day, a fellow took me into a large room where sugar syrup is made. (I think) Anyway, he told me a few vague things about what to do. Ha ha! I was put in charge of a Mexican immigrant who couldn't speak English. So two of us stood around watching gauges that didn't tell us anything. By the afternoon, we had sugar syrup running all over the floor. It was hopeless. I didn't go back to work the next day, or ever again.
      March 12, 2017 10:04 AM MDT

Exactly bh! Precisely! Every job has a learning curve. The more complicated the job the longer/more complicated the learning curve! Thank you for your first-person experience bh. I got a job like that once. I showed up for work the day after I was hired my boss had taken the day off! No instructions. No one offered to show me around. No one even talked to me after I was informed that "boss" wouldn't be in that day! I could not believe it! She never said a word to me about it during the interview/hire. The others just sat there doing their work. I wrote a note to her telling her off. Left. No reason go back. How disgusted I was and still am as a matter of fact!
      March 13, 2017 7:13 AM MDT

• I've been thrown in the deep end I was the only employee and there was nobody to ask I just had to work my way through.  Most people I dealt with were very tolerant, there were some who thought I shouldn't have been in the job with no experience but after a while I'd worked out what was what.  By the way it was a doctor's office, a doctor just opening his practice so I did the jobs of several people if I'd made a huge mistake it could have been a disaster which was very stressful. 
      March 12, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

I'm glad you were able to survive it and work through Yogafan! Good for you! Good job! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and Happy Wednesday! :)
      March 13, 2017 7:14 AM MDT

im in that situation now where i took this job handing out samples in stores and they didnt have anyone to train me at first cause they were short staffed, yesterday they sent someone, only time will tell how successful i'll be at it
      March 12, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

Good luck pearl! Thank you for your reply.
      March 13, 2017 4:29 AM MDT