Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Right wingers want immigrants to assimilate, but, I LOVE ethnic neighborhoods. Don't you?

Right wingers want immigrants to assimilate, but, I LOVE ethnic neighborhoods. Don't you?

Hello:

This is MY neighborhood.  Is it an AFFRONT to America??  Or IS it America?

excon

Posted - March 13, 2017

Responses

• I love the diversity. I live in northern NH, we have many different shades of white 
      March 13, 2017 9:53 AM MDT

Getting ready for the blizzard?

March 13, 2017 9:57 AM MDT

• Ughhhhhh! I still have about a foot of frozen, dirty crap and now this. I'm always ready TBH.
    Last year we had a drought and part of it was because we had a very little snow pack.  This year more than makes up for it.
    What I hate more is the damn cold. It hasn't got about 15 F the past 4 days with some horrific wind. I like the snow, but that $hit is a bit much
      March 13, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

I know.  I'm right there with ya but on the central western border.  I'm 2 miles up a mountain so my thermometer has reached the "unbearable" range with the wind chill factor.  
      March 13, 2017 10:06 AM MDT

• You in NH?
      March 13, 2017 10:06 AM MDT

Yes.
      March 13, 2017 10:17 AM MDT

• Hah! I'm a little north on the central western side on a mountain, too... Howdy Neighbor! 
      March 13, 2017 10:37 AM MDT

Howdy!  I'm cleaning my windows now. Can you see me?

This post was edited by Harry at March 13, 2017 5:28 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

Yes.  And it is America IMHO.

And now, because of that picture you posted, I want some Chinese food. 
      March 13, 2017 9:56 AM MDT

• I love seeing different cultures, learning about traditions, seeing different architectures, but if someone wants to live in the United States of America, they HAVE to follow our laws. I don't care what the laws in their country were, they are in the United States now and we have different laws. We shouldn't have to put up no-go cities like Sharia has done in Europe. If they want their old laws, they need to go back to their country. Their culture is more than welcome in my eyes as long as they follow our laws.
      March 13, 2017 9:57 AM MDT

Hello Corey:

Yeah..  The last time I was in Chinatown, somebody threw a ninja star at me..  That ain't American..  Americans shoot you.

excon
      March 13, 2017 10:09 AM MDT

• I agree with Corey in the sense that the only level of "assimilation" I require is following our laws. You can preserve as much of your culture as you want, just be sure to follow our laws. You don't have to speak English, you don't have to become an SUV-driving Protestant soccer mom. But you do have to respect the laws of the country you have emigrated to. 
      March 13, 2017 10:11 AM MDT

I agree with everything you said, but not about not learning English.  Even if you don't speak it well, you should have to learn to communicate.  If you choose to make another country your home, it is incumbent upon you to learn to speak the language that most of the people speak.  In this case, it's English.  It shouldn't matter that there is no official language in the U.S.  Most of us speak English and it disturbs me that people will live here 20+ years and still not be able to speak English.  These are the people who are taken the most advantage of because they don't understand the language, the customs, the way business is done, etc.  They get sick, go to a hospital but don't understand what the doctors are telling them. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at March 13, 2017 4:56 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 10:43 AM MDT

• I would agree that it's beneficial, but I don't think it's necessary. In California, for example, more than 1 in 4 Californians speaks Spanish and most public services have some degree of bilingualism with Spanish and English. It depends on where in the country you are and to what degree multilingualism is established. 
      March 13, 2017 10:47 AM MDT

I just can't imagine myself setting up residence in another country and not learning their language.  Here in NYC, there are so many languages spoken that it's ridiculous to have to have translators for every one of them.  I got a notice from the Board of Elections that must have been printed in at least 8 languages.  If all these folks can't speak English, how are they voting?
      March 13, 2017 10:57 AM MDT

• They do get take advantage of . . .twice. . .once by our people.....and again by the unscrupulous  in their own people.
    True.

March 13, 2017 11:24 AM MDT

Then it would behoove them to learn the language and their rights.
      March 13, 2017 12:13 PM MDT

• I'm not arguing that. I understand that.
      March 13, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

It's all well and good to live in an area where there are many from the same country and to speak your native tongue with them here, but there's a wider world out there and I think being able to communicate with most of that outside world is very important.
      March 13, 2017 1:37 PM MDT

I'm right there with you on this.  Whenever I used to travel to other countries, I would always make it my business to learn some basics of the language and their customs so I could get around and not be viewed as an "ugly American."   I can't imagine living in another country and not being able to communicate with the people around me.
      March 13, 2017 5:03 PM MDT

• I got lost in Nashville once. Ended up in a neighborhood with Spanish signs on store fronts, Spanish street signs, Spanish restaurants, Spanish music, stray dogs, . .  So although I believe in everybody's right to live as they wish....I have.mixed feelings about this one...good question...
    It would be.nice to see what people REALLY think.
      March 13, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

Having taken Spanish in school for a couple of years and having close friends who speak Spanish, I feel fairly comfortable with it even if my grammar is not the best.  I can make myself understood.  But, if I were to move to a Spanish-speaking country, I would make it my business to become proficient in that language.  I know there are many non-English speaking people who feel embarrassed by asking questions in English, but at least when they try, it makes me feel that they are at least making an effort to assimilate.  I would never make fun of someone like that.
      March 13, 2017 1:40 PM MDT

• Maybe I should have made my point more clear. Its not about you . . . or me or what would we do if we moved to mexico. I understand the benefits for them learning English. I may even understand . . .maybe. . .learn the language of Get the Frank Out. But that's not my point... My point is one of Identity...of what america should look like..
    But maybe I was just being racist,  
    A "I thought this was America!" Kind of thing. 
    But then I thought, is it OK for someone to come and tell me that I'm not American looking enough?
    . Maybe the whole apprehension stems from fear of losing the familiar.
    That's why I said I have mixed feelings.
    Or maybe I was just pissed cause I was lost.
      March 13, 2017 3:08 PM MDT

Like any other country, what America should look like is a relatively comparable set of values, irrespective of your culture - assimilation if you will - and a common language.  I reject those who come here and want to change our beliefs and our way of life to what they just left.  If one doesn't like living under the yolk of Sharia law, why then seek asylum elsewhere and expect Sharia law to apply to you?  It just doesn't make sense. 
      March 13, 2017 3:38 PM MDT