Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What was the first job you ever held?

What was the first job you ever held?

My father had an auto repair business and I remember "helping" him since I was little.
But at sixteen that job paid so bad that I had to go find a realer one.

I found a position selling Lady's shoes. I would take off their shoes, put the new ones on, compliment them on their great taste and listen to anything they wanted to talk about. 

I thought it was a great job, women were nice, the place was air conditioned, and I got to wear a tie!

How bout your first ever real job?
Did you like it?

Are you still doing it???!!

Posted - March 13, 2017

Responses

• I was a cashier at a small yogurt shop, we had to wear these really tights button polos, and black jeans, we really couldn't breatheD. Either way, a I made a lot of friends. The customers were very sweet. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 13, 2017 4:14 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

• That's crazy!
    I wonder how many times I've been standing there getting a coffee and trying to be cute,  and this poor girl is just there trying to breath. I have to admit that I have never ever, thought about that!!
    That's pretty good, im giing to ask one of them next time!
    thanks Grin.
      March 13, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

• Haha, she'll probably panic knowing she got caught and actually breath and her shirt might come updone, I know by experience. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 13, 2017 4:23 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

• Oh no! 
    I hope that doesn't happens. 
    I was thinking also. What if you work at a donut or cinam!on roll place, and you had to wear something little like,  all day surrounded by donuts and fudge!!
    Thanks G
      March 13, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

• I blushed it off but the old man seemed to like it and gave me his phone number lol. No problem.
      March 13, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

• That's funny! 
      March 13, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

• I was a professional cyclist. 

Well, technically. I was paid to deliver telegrams on a bike, Professional cyclist.
      March 13, 2017 4:11 PM MDT

• How old were you Mr D?
      March 13, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

• Mr. D. is a venerable ancient!
      March 13, 2017 4:29 PM MDT

• That's funny.  
      March 13, 2017 8:31 PM MDT

• I left school at 15 and went straight into that job.  Learned to do Morse in night classes and transferred across (in the same organisation) two years later. Stayed there for 27 years.
      March 13, 2017 4:29 PM MDT

• WOW 
    With the same Company?
    I think that's amazing. 
    I know this one guy who was a cook when he was a teenager, well not a cook, but he worked at a BBQ stand. He's twenty something now, and he still cooking. 
    I've always admired people with that kind of sticking power!
      March 13, 2017 4:40 PM MDT

• Once I started moving around things got much briefer, particularly as telecommunications was a casualty of computers even before the PC boom really hit. After a while I just got tossed aside like a dirty rag. 

Getting laid off is interesting. The first time (I was 51 and had never been unemployed) I was shattered. The second time Mrs D and I had a small celebration. The third time I put my hand up and offered to take a package. Like so many other things in life, it's a learning process.
      March 13, 2017 4:44 PM MDT

• Unemployed at fifty one, with people depending on you, that must have been scary!!
    But you're here!!!
    You must have done something right!!

March 13, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

• Did you have to sing?  I see this portrayed in old movies.  Seems rather wacky.

Also is Didje as in didgreedo?
      March 13, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

• No, we didn't do singing telegrams in Oz. Fortunately. 

And, yes, Didge is short for didgeridoo. I had a character in my novel called Johnno who had a magic didge. I just borrowed it for a user name. 

Here's my own didge: just don't ask me to play the thing. 

March 13, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

• That is a nice didj, better called a yadaki. How may one get a copy of your novel?
      March 13, 2017 4:44 PM MDT

• PS. Do you get bad headaches hanging upside down all day?
      March 13, 2017 4:45 PM MDT

• We're not upside down. You're upside down. That "down under" rubbish is European propaganda.
      March 13, 2017 4:57 PM MDT

• Or this "spherical Earth" is rubbish.
      March 13, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

• Never heard it called a yadaki. That must be new. 

And here's a link to The Mistress of Dimmiga Berg

March 13, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

• It is my understanding "yadaki" is the name in the indigenous language.
      March 13, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

I was a paperboy for 3 years during my teens (had 3 routs, 300 papers) luckily the papers came pre-stuffed with flyers and i didn't have to go around to collect money either..
    2nd Job- i worked at a thrift store for a year during my late teen years, than i became housebound for 6 years with severe anxiety/agoraphobia... spent the past 2 years getting out and trying to function normally with society (its been ok so far but the anxiety will never go away and the constant worries about how im gonna keep going in the long run)

3rd Job- i've had my current job at Little Ceasers for 8 months now.. im a sign Advertiser and i also help out with odd things around the store like cleaning, moving stacks of pizza boxes and flour, and yeasting the pizza pans. im gonna go back to school sometime- to take a work experience course to help open up more opportunities. This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at March 13, 2017 4:27 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

• I'm intrigued by the flyers stuffing thing. . .I worked at a printing place once and I remember the periodicals would come down this conveyor where a little arm thing would open threm, and another machine would shoot the fliers inside.
    Did you have to do that by hand??
      March 13, 2017 4:21 PM MDT