Active Now

Slartibartfast
Randy D
Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What was the first job you ever held?

What was the first job you ever held?

My father had an auto repair business and I remember "helping" him since I was little.
But at sixteen that job paid so bad that I had to go find a realer one.

I found a position selling Lady's shoes. I would take off their shoes, put the new ones on, compliment them on their great taste and listen to anything they wanted to talk about. 

I thought it was a great job, women were nice, the place was air conditioned, and I got to wear a tie!

How bout your first ever real job?
Did you like it?

Are you still doing it???!!

Posted - March 13, 2017

Responses

the newspaper delivery guy would bring me bundles of papers that were already stuffed with flyers. i have no idea if they did it by hand or if a machine did it for them (i would assume it was done by a machine) i live in a big city after all, and im sure they wouldn't stuff 400 thousand papers by hand 3 times a week :/
      March 13, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

• I don't know about that, I remember having to do that by hand a couple of times. 
    At least,  )
      March 13, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

• Pizza Hut as a teen.  I spit on the name and memory.  Also at the same time, lifeguard. It was ok.
      March 13, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

• Was Pizza Hut that Horrible???
    Lifeguard !?
    That's alright! 
    I tried to pass the lifeguard school training thing.
    They had like 400 people trying out. They put people in the pool in groups of six, I think, 
    The guy would blow a whistle and you'd jump in, and swam until he blew it again. People would be dropping like flies. I think I made it to number seventy something before I was done.
    You must have been pretty tough! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 13, 2017 4:35 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 4:33 PM MDT

• I was fit then but the training was not too overly rigorous.  And yes Pizza Hut was horrible, like all food service jobs are. Fun Facts!  Food service workers have the first highest rates of drug and alcohol use and the second highest rate of occupational related depression.  Be courteous to food service workers, they have a lousy, stressful job and crappy pay.  Subway was worse than PH. I take a huge rancid, foul and fetid dump on the name and many of the customers who I served.  May you choke in Hell for eternity. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 13, 2017 4:43 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

• My son worked at Little Ceasars and he has not one good thing to say about them. 
    It truly is amazing to me the things and the treatment they get away with!
    I go to fast food places, when I can't avoid it, and look at those kids back there with the most miserable faces on, you can almost pinpoint the exact moment the forced smile comes up. Can I help you? You know?
    To that, you add jerk customers, that expect four star service for MacNuggets.
    I agree, I agree,  thanks.
      March 13, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

• Customers who treat food service workers poorly should stop and reflect.  First this person who the customer is thinking it fun to "give a hard time" or who the customer is just condescending to the worker is still needing and wanting the service and product that worker is providing.  If you, the coprophagic, haughty customer are so superior why do you soil yourself by coming into the restaurant?  And also consider that worker you are treating so badly is serving you food.  Food you are going to eat.  You may do well to reconsider how you treat that person.
      March 13, 2017 5:17 PM MDT

• Of course, of course!!
    Check this out!
    When I was a young man starting to go out with girls, my mom would tell me to take them to lunch and to watch how they treated the waitresses.
    And you know what? I always did. 
    So. . . yeah. . .I think custumers can be jerks sometimes.
      March 13, 2017 8:38 PM MDT

• Your mom is wise.

For the jerk customer I had a fantasy he would start choking on his meal.  He'd look at me with desperate, pleading eyes. I'd stand at the counter smiling lightly and ask, "Do you have a comment now?"  "Do you have a condescending remark?"  Then just watch as he grew blue. He could save himself or pray to which ever god he believed in to save him.  No help from me though. Then I'd just snicker and turn away.
      March 13, 2017 9:29 PM MDT

• This comment is one of those things you start clapping enthusiastically and laughing and you end with a slow weird clap. You know what I mean??
    Very funny W, in a Silence of the Lambs sort of way. )))
      March 13, 2017 9:41 PM MDT

• Hummmm. S o L might be a tad over much.  But that was one of the lesser fantasies.  Others scared me. One should not think such things. 
      March 13, 2017 9:49 PM MDT

• I understand, we all have dark rooms we don't visit much, or that at least we shouldn't. I got you. 
      March 13, 2017 9:55 PM MDT

babysitting
      March 13, 2017 5:29 PM MDT

• That's a hard one, I don't think I could ever do that.
      March 13, 2017 9:44 PM MDT

• Loved reading the stories here :)  

My story is probably way duller... I worked for a company that made road sweepers.. 

For me it was cool - the roadsweeper thing... you may not realise it but i have a thing for roadsweepers.. my dad worked at the company .. and as a kid he'd talk about roadsweepers and he once brought me home a dinky toy roadsweeper... I LOVED it.. cherished it.. so for me getting to work for the place that MAKES roadsweepers was way cooooooooooooooooooool 

and I got to go to London 2x a week every week...  I'd go to the embassies.. Kuwait, Quatar etc... and I was 16 at the time.. I think they sent me cos I was, back then sweet and innocent, well fairly.. so I smiled sweetly and they never gave me any trouble about getting my paperwork signed... and stamped.. 

And in my lunch time I'd go visit a museum... London's full of them.. the world was my oyster.. or London was lol 
    It was a cool job... unfortunately the pay was terrible.. just like Lago said .. and I had to go get  a realer job...
      March 13, 2017 5:35 PM MDT

• Seems like the sort of thing Dick Van Dyke might make a musical of.
      March 13, 2017 7:10 PM MDT

• That's a very nice story, Day. 
    I had never heard a nostalgic story about road sweepers. A toy road sweeper?! How cool is that?
    Roaming around london in itself sounds awesome. I have never been there. I think being able to do that must be super great!
    Youre lucky! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 13, 2017 9:17 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 8:46 PM MDT

• My first job was a university student government gofer when I was 20. I hadn't worked before then. I also worked in the university library and bookstore. 
      March 13, 2017 6:37 PM MDT

• That's funny Nevan, I haven't heard the word gofer in a long time. It took me back in time to the many times I've been one of those.
    Did you like it?
      March 13, 2017 8:48 PM MDT

I used to work at a record store, but it somehow evolved into a drug dealing situation. The good part was that I played the role of Robin Hood. I stole money from the rich and gave to ME!!! This post was edited by Zack at March 13, 2017 9:10 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 8:49 PM MDT

• That made me laugh.. . Not that I'm condoning it,  but it is funny. ))
    You have it all there my friend, drugs, rock and roll, and Robin Hood!!
      March 13, 2017 9:02 PM MDT

Nah. No tights thank goodness. This guy never sold the actual drugs, but he did sell the paraphernalia and the stuff one would "cut" cocaine with.  This post was edited by Zack at March 13, 2017 9:13 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 9:11 PM MDT

I knew the owner at my job and he had me doing all kinds of things. Kind of what you were doing on your first job. The bad part, of course, was the work, but even worse was his wife. The single biggest B**CH!!! I've ever come across. This post was edited by Zack at March 13, 2017 9:12 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 9:09 PM MDT

The kind of person that demanded respect. Demanded that you properly address her. Always so damn serious. I never saw her smile for the 10 years I worked for this guy.
      March 13, 2017 9:15 PM MDT

I was so naive that at the time that I didn't know what those things were for.
      March 13, 2017 9:21 PM MDT