Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What's so good about Facebook?

What's so good about Facebook?

I'm going to have to get an account there, but I really don't want to. 

Posted - March 14, 2017

Responses

share memories with family and friends, talk about fun stuff in your status updates. etc.. think if it as  a diary with your closer family and friends.  This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at March 14, 2017 11:57 PM MDT
      March 14, 2017 4:37 PM MDT

• LOL people are so funny about facebook.. its a TOOL, we are all adults and intelligent, (well lol there might be a few exceptions :P) we can USE it and make it work for us.. we are not likely to become slaves to it.. 

I use it for keeping in touch with old friends. most of my American friends are there.. the ones I met over 20 years ago when I first got online.. I am still in touch with most of them... and I have family there.. I have THE coolest aunt in NZ - she reminds me of my mum in so many ways, her sense of humour... I have my aunt there.. lol she's a riot.. I could, and have, literally post anything and she would like it.. lol and I could tell a story to prove it :P  

I have my daughter there :)   I have my son there :) lol and a few ex's :P
      March 14, 2017 4:45 PM MDT

• Facebook was good about 7ish years ago.... Now , not so much so don't bother. Also Twitter sucks now cos you only fight with companies... then have a mental break down and delete all your social media.... cos you're convinced  the government is watching  you ...and you don't have enough aluminium foil  to cover your entire body in your kitchen to stop the government from spying on you. #struggle_is_real ;p
      March 14, 2017 4:45 PM MDT

On Facebook just make sure your settings are set so that only you and your friends can see what is being said, and no body else can get your information.  It has some games on there, but when you join a game you agree they get a copy of all your friends (I am not sure about your pictures, I heard once that Facebook has ownership of your pictures and can use them)
      March 14, 2017 5:01 PM MDT

For me it was being forced to realize what a collection of foul mouthed jerks I am related to. They want to beat kids, kill protesters who cause damage, build that stupid wall, do painful things to women who wear pink hats, and on and on. I ended up unfriending about half of them so they can't dump in my face every day. And then I realized that there is not much content any more. Decent people just don't post much.
      March 14, 2017 5:02 PM MDT

• Facebook certainly has its uses -- it's a very convenient way to stay in touch with friends and family. I had an account for less than two months. There was so much nonsense being posted on my wall -- stuff that was of no interest and had no content -- that I finally gave up in despair.
      March 14, 2017 5:47 PM MDT

I deactivated mine after 9 years for personal reasons.  I needed a break.  Family estrangements can actually be extra painful when you share mutual friends and family.  Even blocking them doesn't stop the public postings meant to get back to you and to embarrass.  I figure I don't need that in my life.  It's too bad because I miss sharing good things with relatives and friends that I don't get to see otherwise.  At some point, I probably will return, but will keep my circle small.  In the meantime, I am keeping in touch with those I am close to by other means.
      March 14, 2017 8:39 PM MDT

• People you know are on it, you can find out about local protests, Farm Heroes
      March 14, 2017 8:56 PM MDT

March 14, 2017 8:58 PM MDT

• I'm beginning to think that you're some kind of advanced self-hating AI.
      March 14, 2017 9:37 PM MDT

March 14, 2017 8:59 PM MDT

Why do you HAVE to open a Facebook account?  Is someone twisting your arm?
      March 14, 2017 9:36 PM MDT

Unfortunately, if you do not participate in these Millenial sites, you will never find a job. A "digital" identity is more important than reality. Your "network" IS your self.
      March 14, 2017 9:42 PM MDT

Well, since I'm semi-retired now and clearly not a Millenial, I guess I hadn't thought it was that important.
      March 15, 2017 12:21 AM MDT

Yes it is. And if you don't use LinkedIn, you might as well kill yourself. You won't even get an interview if you don't have 500+ contacts. People will assume something is "wrong" with you. The percentage of companies hiring solely through that site goes up every year.
      March 15, 2017 7:46 AM MDT

Guess there is something good about getting older after all. :)
      March 15, 2017 10:47 AM MDT

• It shuns anonymity and links you to people against your will so all those people you never wanted to see again can find you.
      March 14, 2017 9:37 PM MDT

• It's how I stay in contact with a lot of my friends. It's also how I reconnected with a lot of my old friends. 
      March 15, 2017 3:04 AM MDT

If I thought there was anything good about it, I would be on it, instead of this site.
      March 15, 2017 5:55 AM MDT

I only hear bad things about it...I don't have an account with any social media. Why do you have to? Is it job related?
      March 15, 2017 8:38 AM MDT

Er, you're on here, dude! This is a form of social media, though a lesser known one.
      March 16, 2017 4:30 AM MDT

I agree Harry, but AM is a bit more anonymous and private than Facebook.

I use one or two other f.o.r.a (please someone, tell Mickeysoft how to pluralise Greek roots and to let me do so!) and those by User Name, although their contents are limited to specific, non-controversial topics.  Facebook is primarily a data-harvester, and I find plenty of other, perfectly good, ways to keep in touch with friends and relatives.
      April 20, 2017 5:44 PM MDT

"have to... [but] "don't want to".

Err, then don't. Simple as that.
      April 1, 2017 5:00 PM MDT