Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What is the difference between cola on ice and cola from a fridge?

What is the difference between cola on ice and cola from a fridge?

Posted - March 19, 2017

Responses

• They're both Coke products and you should replace them with an ice cold, citrusy smooth Mountain Dew!
      March 19, 2017 11:00 PM MDT

• Corey, doesn't Mountain Dew seem exceedingly sweet to you?
    I mean...clearly NOT too sweet for you...but to me it is so sweet I can't get much flavour!
    Also, don't you miss the little 'hit' of caffeine in the colas or Dr. Pepper?

I mean, this is important, and I need to understand the philosophy here, don't you agree?
      March 20, 2017 12:57 AM MDT

This might be a good time for me to admit that Mountain Dew tastes to me, what I believe anti-freeze must taste like. Bleah.

March 20, 2017 5:00 AM MDT

• Sh-h-h-h...don't let Corey Goofyhawk hear you say that, Harry!
      March 20, 2017 8:48 AM MDT

• Mountain Dew is one of the sweetest of the soft drinks. When you've had it as long as I have then you won't notice the sweetness quite as much. If I were to lay off of it for a while, I'd agree with you. I do enjoy the regular Pepsi though. My favorite Pepsis are the 1983 versions. They are smoother without the massive amount of carbonation, in my opinion. Another of my favorites is Cheerwine. I doubt you've heard of it because it's only sold in North Carolina. It's a unique cherry soft drink that has a nice flavor kick to it.
      March 20, 2017 6:47 AM MDT

• No, I have not heard of Cheerwine, but yes I would prolly like it.
    I really enjoy when I can find Orange Crush or Green River from childhood days and I don't even think you can ever get Schweppes Bitter Lemon any more, but I used to love that, too!
      March 20, 2017 8:57 AM MDT

• Orange Crush is pretty good, but I prefer Sunkist for an orange soft drink.
      March 20, 2017 10:55 AM MDT

• Corey you are truly a connoisseur...somehow I rather enjoy learning your opinions on the various soft drinks...after seeing WW comment for Tennessee, I will Google Cheerwine and see if maybe I can get here in Tenino, too!
      March 20, 2017 11:10 AM MDT

• Aww Virginia, I'm blushing ;) Nah, I just know what I like, lol
      March 20, 2017 1:03 PM MDT

• Oh ok cool. I didn't realize it shipped outside of NC. Sweet!
      March 20, 2017 10:56 AM MDT

• I enjoyed reading about Cheerwine online, they have been around since 1917. No corn syrup they use Real Sugar.
    Supposed to get it here in WA at the Fred Meyer, and one source claimed WinCo also...I am looking forward to this!
      March 20, 2017 11:26 AM MDT

• Woot woot!! If you're able to try it you'll have let me know what you think! Cheerwine is definitely top of the line in cherry soft drinks! I'm excited for you ;)
      March 20, 2017 1:02 PM MDT

• Ah yes...see how educational it is here on aMug??
      March 20, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

For me its a taste difference. A cold Coke in a bottle straight from the fridge, no glass, is simply, satisfying. A Pepsi with crushed ice, in a big glass, is thirst quenching. If I had coke from a can or a bottle on ice, it loses its carbonation, no matter what I do. If I have a Pepsi straight out of the can or bottle, it tastes, nasty. This post was edited by dragonfly46 at March 20, 2017 8:50 AM MDT
      March 19, 2017 11:04 PM MDT

Umm cola on ice??
      March 19, 2017 11:27 PM MDT

• Hmmmm, on ice as in the container is in an ice bath or ice in the drink... seems the question is being interpreted  both ways ... anyhow one basic fact.... cold liquid retains gases more easily than warm liquid so the colder it is the more fizzy it will be... all things being equal ... also containers in a bath of ice will be colder than in a fridge given time ..
    . I think I've covered all the bases This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 20, 2017 9:28 AM MDT
      March 20, 2017 3:06 AM MDT

• Belly buttons are nice and hold the ice ...
      March 20, 2017 9:43 AM MDT

cola on ice tastes better
      March 20, 2017 10:00 AM MDT

One gets watered down as the ice melts and the other is just cold without losing any flavor. This post was edited by Zack at March 20, 2017 10:12 AM MDT
      March 20, 2017 10:08 AM MDT

Well, it depends on the temperature of the ice and the temperature of the soda.

The combination of the two leads to various physical sensations and some may be more pleasing to one person than another.

I only drink DrPepper---No period in the name please.  My favorite temperature is achieved by putting the individual sized serving bottle in an ice chest (bottle or plastic---no cans) adding a decent amount of ice, and then water so the soda is covered.  Leave it for about an hour or so---longer if you are putting the soda in while it's warm.  

That produces a soda with the temperature of melting ice---32 degrees.

Otherwise, a soda taken from the refrigerator and place in the freezer section will produce a similar or slightly lower temperature after about 10 to 20 minutes---depending on the size of the bottle.  (And is admittedly less trouble than the ice chest.)
      March 20, 2017 11:04 AM MDT

I like mine on the ice with some whisky mixed in.
      March 20, 2017 4:41 PM MDT