Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Element 99
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Do you think North Carolina's economy will recover, or go down the drain, due to the "Bathroom bill?"

Do you think North Carolina's economy will recover, or go down the drain, due to the "Bathroom bill?"

'Bathroom bill' to cost North Carolina $3.76B

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Despite Republican assurances that North Carolina's "bathroom bill" isn't hurting the economy, the law limiting LGBT protections will cost the state more than $3.76 billion in lost business over a dozen years, according to an Associated Press analysis.

Over the past year, North Carolina has suffered financial hits ranging from scuttled plans for a PayPal facility that would have added an estimated $2.66 billion to the state's economy to a canceled Ringo Starr concert that deprived a town's amphitheater of about $33,000 in revenue. The blows have landed in the state's biggest cities as well as towns surrounding its flagship university, and from the mountains to the coast.

You can the rest of the story here:

https://apnews.com/fa4528580f3e4a01bb68bcb272f1f0f8/AP-Exclusive:-'Bathroom-bill'-to-cost-North-Carolina-$3.76B

Do you think the state's economy will recover shortly or go down the drain?  Do you think there will be a reversal of the decision if the economy continues to bleed money?

WARNING:  This is a personal opinion question. Even though you may not agree with another person's perspective, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I am asking you not to attack your fellow AMers or exhibit extreme animosity toward them if you disagree. Please keep the discussion respectful.  We aren't about to solve any world problems here, it's just a discussion of a current event topic. If you think you can't control yourself, please self-correct and remove yourself from the thread.  If you are having a bad day and feel the need to vent, please go to this thread instead: http://answermug.com/videos/2/1/laugh-therapy-with-weylon  

Posted - March 27, 2017

Responses

• Probably.  These kinds of reactions tend to fizzle out after awhile and plus I doubt it will have much lasting impact on tourism to places like the Outerbanks and Asheville.

Honestly I think both sides of the debate take the issue way to freaking far and think it's a definitive example of a manufactured issue to deflect from real problems.
    The whole thing on both sides came completely out of the blue one day with two camps all of a sudden making it some pressing issue.
      March 27, 2017 7:59 AM MDT

I think you're right about the impact (non) on tourism.  I also know a couple of snowbirds who have winter homes in those areas. A lot of people love the state & the weather there.  

You may be right that this was manufactured to deflect from real problems.  I am truly at a loss as to why this is an issue that the Republicans in the State Senate appear to be digging in extra hard on.  It doesn't make sense to me.  I remember reading something a while back in which a woman who was dressed in mannish attire entered the bathroom and was confronted by another woman who told her to get out because she thought the first woman was transgender.  I don't understand how a law that takes away a person's civil rights can be upheld or properly carried out.  Who walks around with their birth certificate?  More importantly, does one citizen have a right to tell another to get out of the restroom because they think that person isn't the sex they are claiming.  The word ludicrous comes to mind.   
      March 27, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

• I think it's stupid all the way around and a waste of time.    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 27, 2017 1:34 PM MDT
      March 27, 2017 1:33 PM MDT

Just mark all the washrooms as unisex and let everyone use them. No more problem. (I have never figured out why they are called unisex?  To me they should be bisexual as both sexes can use them)
      March 27, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

Thanks for responding Maurice.  Not sure if I'm on board with unisex bathrooms when it comes to multiple "occupants." But, for single use bathrooms, I certainly agree with your thoughts.  Unfortunately, it appears NC doesn't want anything which remotely resembles that idea or else they wouldn't be taking it as far as they have been.
      March 27, 2017 1:27 PM MDT

never heard of it
      March 27, 2017 10:53 AM MDT

Hello Pearl.  Well, you can read about it on the link that I provided.
      March 27, 2017 1:27 PM MDT

• Where did these people go before they made this law? Or did they just hold it til they got home? I mean some how life was going on before this law.
      March 27, 2017 3:02 PM MDT

I'm sure they used whatever toilet they were dressed appropriately for.  I really would like to know what triggered this whole thing. 
      March 27, 2017 4:27 PM MDT