Active Now

DannyPetti
CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Sharing shows caring. Selfish does not. I walk alone or we're all in this together. Are we becoming more isolated from one another?

Sharing shows caring. Selfish does not. I walk alone or we're all in this together. Are we becoming more isolated from one another?

Do we fear/distrust one another more than we love/depend upon one another? Do we simply not give a dam* generically or is it specifically? Is it temporary or permanent? Is it hopeless or might there be hope? Why?

Posted - March 31, 2017

Responses

• Bingo! My parent's generation lived in close quarters in a mill village. Everyone not only knew the people around them in the neighborhood, but on the job as well. There were community efforts to help one another in difficult times that often involved illness, death or financial reversal. People cared and were actively involved with one another. It was a form of communal living that my own family learned from those times and continued for themselves for seven or eight decades. But today, there are more people on the earth than at any time in history and there is more loneliness, isolation. fear and distrust than ever. I see it as a heart problem. Over time, we moved away from caring and we wonder why walls replaced interaction. 
      March 31, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

Nicely stated m'dear. You nailed it exactly. There were neighborhoods made up of people who watched out for one another. There were block parties and community sings and pot-luck meals. When my grandfather died the neighbors took over and cooked and helped out during our grieving. We appreciated it so much. It was not a big deal then. It was just something people did for one another. These days that is probably very rare or non-existent. Why and when  it began I don't  know. I guess I was too busy living my life to pay attention.  The world is colder, crueler and certainly more heartless as a whole. Of course there are still pockets of the way it was I suppose. But I'm not sure since all you hear about and read about is harsh/selfish/uncaring.  :( SIGH. Thank you for your reply driftwood! :)
      April 1, 2017 2:48 AM MDT

I'm an introvert and prefer solitude, but that doesn't mean I don't care about others. I would help people out if they need it. I'm not sure about other people though. Everyone is different.
      March 31, 2017 5:18 PM MDT

True. Everyone is different Patch. But as a whole people are less caring about one another than they used to be when I was younger. At least it seems that way to me. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      April 1, 2017 2:49 AM MDT

Yeah, perhaps if they were more caring I wouldn't have become such a recluse.
      April 1, 2017 6:08 AM MDT

seems like it, i feel isolated from other people myself a lot
      April 3, 2017 3:25 PM MDT